Two fawn w/Dad! ?

I watched these 3 deer this morning at around 4:45AM. The two fawn were just off in the hay field while [what I thought was mom] was off in the distance grazing. It turns out that "mom" wasn't really mom but a buck instead. I'm no expert but I've watched doe and their fawn every year for the past 15 years or so but have never seen fawn stick with a buck (it was very clear that the fawn were sticking close to the buck and he wasn't pushing them away). I don't think I would have believed this had I not seen it. Has anyone else observed this before?

Forgive the picture...it was 4:50AM so not real light out and it was raining and I had to take it thru thru a window or they would been outta there before I could raise the camera to eye level.

Deer-8501316.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
FYI: Since that photo was taken I've seen those two fawn back together with Mom. The buck had been hanging around the doe (unusual for this time of year) and I think he got up early one morning and the fawn followed. Fortunately Mom eventually caught up with both her babies.

In addition to the doe with 2 fawn there is also a doe with 1 fawn hanging around here. That fawn got separated from Mom the other day and I saw him/her alone several times. He was running to various spots trying to find Mom (I gather) but at one point he/she needed a short rest (Image 1). The other 3 shots were taken the next day -- Mom seemed happy to have her baby back and the fawn seemed happy to be back as well...but as normal, they bolt at the slightest hint of trouble and that little one took off leaving Mom to catch up.

FYI: Those are soybeans the fawn is eating....Mom was cropped out of the shot but she was chowing down as well. Deer love soybeans and most days I see them in the early morning and at evening/dusk eating the farmers crops...

Image 1
Deer-8501358.jpg

Image 2
Deer-8501379.jpg

Image 3
Deer-8501377.jpg

Image 4
Deer-8501412.jpg

Last edited:
Very special!

That first shot is special, nicely done.
Thanks guys. I'm really surprised at how well that first shot turned out given the conditions and dirty window...

EDIT: That shot would have never been possible using film....today's cameras are amazing!

Last edited:

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom