Two Flags, 1 Story

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by dkapp, Apr 7, 2005.

1. dkapp

dkapp

Mar 18, 2005
    San Francisco
    Today I set out for the Tenderloin discrict of San Francisco for some more gritty B&W back ally shots like I had posted a few days ago. This turned out to be a mistake that almost turned violent.

For those not familiar with San Francisco, the Tenderloin is what most consider the worst part of the city. I figured it was still before lunch and most of the street rats will still be passed out in their box for a few more hours. I couldn't have been more wrong. During my 10 minute walk through the area, I was harassed (no big deal), spit at (bigger deal), and almost lost my camera to some street thugs(big deal). Thank god they were too lazy to really give chase because adrenaline will only get you so far. Needless to say I got out as quick as possible.

I decided to give a friend a call and grab a cup of coffee since I was in the area. While walking to Starbucks, I came across a set of flags that I've seen a hundred times. I never really gave them much attention until today. It must have been the lighting, my mood, but the flag seemed to be more brilliant that I had remembered.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As far as the Tenderloin project, I'm going back. Next time I'm just going to bring my Nikon FG & 50/1.4 for a lower profile. I knew bringing my D2H & 17-55 would bring more attention that I wanted, but for some reason I ignored my gut instincts. Hopefully my persistence (ignorance?) will pay off, and I'll have something to show.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    Nice shots. Stay safe, Dave.

3. hans

hans

Feb 5, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Dave

First I like your comp of these pictures
    Second Thanks for the link of the district,looks like you had a great day :wink: :wink:
    Third did you eat at Naan's,looks like a great place with very hot curry I love it

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Great shots Dave,

Better to stay safe for sure.

5. dkapp

dkapp

Mar 18, 2005
    San Francisco
    Thanks Anand. I'm determined to get the shot, so I'm looking for better ways to approach the situation. I'm also looking for pepper spray...haha

Dave

6. dkapp

dkapp

Mar 18, 2005
    San Francisco
    Thanks Hans :D

I didn't stop to eat anywhere. I had my tail firmly planted between my legs on the way out.

I don't think I've ever had curry. Is it pretty good stuff?

Dave

7. dkapp

dkapp

Mar 18, 2005
    San Francisco
    Thanks Gale.

I need to start using common sense. It's amazing I've lasted 28 years. This is relatively minor compared to other situations I've been in. I must have a good guardian angle.

Dave

8. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Sounds about like the experience Patrick and I had at Jacksonville Landing at 10 in the morning in Jacksonville, Florida. Like you, we got out of there very quickly!!! Very nice shots of the Flag! I love the first one and I would say you succeeded in capturing a mood--Patriotism. Thanks for sharing!

9. Your right about the Tenderloin. I have walked through there many many times in the eight years I worked in the city. Good captures with the flags.

10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Dave,

All I can say is that you get your adrenalin in a much more risky way than I do (seeing the approaching bird....;-)). I almost think that I can understand your motivation, based on the shots that you have posted previously, but please, take a big dog next time. 8)

We only have a couple of street shooters at the Cafe. We don't need to lose one of them. :?

Frank

11. dkapp

dkapp

Mar 18, 2005
    San Francisco
    I've been to Jacksonville a few time with a previous job. It has some really bad sections, and can get scary at night. I never really felt comfortable working there.

I used to travel the country working on telecom equipment, so I've been to every major city and in between. These telecom sites were built in the cheapest locations possible to save on real estate costs, so they were mostly in the bad section of town.

The worst one was outside of tampa. When the site tech left for the night (i worked at night), he handed me his gun & locked me in the property. He only gave me simple advice, "stay inside unless this place is on fire".

Dave

12. dkapp

dkapp

Mar 18, 2005
    San Francisco
    From what I've been reading, the Tenderloin is actually getting better? Hard to believe, but is this what you notice too?

dave

13. dkapp

dkapp

Mar 18, 2005
    San Francisco
    haha...thanks Frank!

I'm going back with a much lower profile next time. I was planning on going today w/ my FG & 50mm, but FedEx has surprised me and will deliver my F3 HP a few days early.

I'm so excited, its just like christmas :D

Dave

14. Your story sounds intimidating.

First pic is outstanding, love the postprocessing in both.

15. I love these Dave and your unique style in general. The only tenderloin I want to see tho is the one on my grill. Dude be careful will ya.

16. dkapp

dkapp

Mar 18, 2005
    San Francisco
    Thanks for the kind words Eric. I'm glad your here.

You know I'd love nothing more than to have a BBQ grill, let alone red meat to put on it. I think my girlfriend is trying to break my spirits slowly by denying me red meat at every meal, including snacks. I grew up in the midwest, man can live on meat alone...quite well actually.

Dave