Two for critique...

Discussion in 'People' started by gilbert, Nov 4, 2005.

1. gilbert

gilbert

May 6, 2005
    So. CA
    I don't have much of a chance to do much street shooting, but I was in my old stomping grounds of Chicago for the weekend. I spent a few hours walking around downtown and by Millennium Park and took these two. Both were taken with D70, 28-70 mm f/2.8 AFS.

Critique welcome and appreciated.

A few more Chicago shots here:
    Chicago pics

#1 This guys was really animated playing his harmonica, stomping his feet and playing furiously, especially when I was taking his picture.

#2 One of several homeless that I saw. He made sure he straightened out his hat and looked dignified for this shot. I saw him later chasing down another homeless person in a dispute.

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Hi Gilbert,

#1 I like a lot! For one, I really dig street music - it's the thing that moves the city, if you know what I mean. Add to that, you composition is very pleasing, right down to the slight kilter to the framing. Since you say the guy was animated, being slightly off vertical helps convey that. And the level of detail in his face is good, especially considering how much of the surroundings you also took in! Now for the critique part... :Devil:

Since you mentioned his feet, I was disappointed they were not visible in the picture. I could imagine them sure, but ... In the completely opposite stance, I'd like to see his face and expression even better! Closer! Ok it looks like I think you should have taken 2 different photos of this guy, one showing him in his entirity, and one concentrating on his face and harmonica. But I still think the photo you DID take is awsomely good!

#2. I think this is a much weaker photo than the first one. Nothing about this guy expresses any sympathy or concern for the people who find themselves without a home due to circumstances beyond their control. He's wearing some fine clothes, as you said is concerned about his personal presentation, and has a Starbucks latte sitting there! Yet he's holding out a cup, beggar style, to indicate that is what he does. Good communication in a picture! Now for the critique part...

The off kilter bit here works as well, but for a completely different reason. In this picture I get the impression the world is not right, and being tilted, while the subject stands straight .. works? Have you also tried cropping this so the verts are straight, but he's leaning? But by far the biggest problem I have with this picture is his eyes are completely in shadow. I can't see them, nor even be sure that he has any! Try a local dodge to the shadowed part of his face, or apply 'Shadows/Highlights locally to bring them back. Unless, of course, you intended to leave him eyeless.

It's a good picture, but not up to the level of the first one. I'm gonna go check out the gallery you pointed to now. Thanks for posting! This is my favorite kind of street photography!

3. Gilbert,

Nice work on the portraits. What lens did you use? The subjects are nice and sharp.

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Nice captures, Gilbert. Both are nice but the first is particularly well done. The image is well composed and the detail in his face is great.

5. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Critique - Both images are nice but I really think the second one stands out. His eyes draw you into his soul. Although partially hidden by the shadows of his hat, they are the main focal point of the photograph. Very Nicely Done !

Regards

RFC

6. gilbert

gilbert

May 6, 2005
    So. CA
    Chris,

Thanks for the comments. For #1, I didn't frame with the whole body because I didn't feel it was personal enough. You wouldn't be able to see the expression and passion in his face. And I didn't want to crop any tighter because I wanted to show the environment (downtown background). I also felt that #2 was weaker than the first one. I did try cropping so that the building that he is leaning on is straight, but it looked like he was leaning back too far. Also, I like the tilted perspective because it kind of makes him the upright and straight person in the picture while the rest of the world is not quite right. I also would prefer more light on the eyes, but I typically prefer not doing any PP other than a little levels and sharpening.

I appreciate the time you took to critique. Thanks!