Two impromptu portraits of a friend

Real Name
Bill Walderman
Taken at dinner in Clyde's at Mark Center. I rarely get a chance to do portraits and don't really have much experience with this type of photography,

49367927347_6055d017a3_c.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

49376234801_3a0bc45321_c.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
This is actually my favorite style of portraiture and you made it happen very nicely. Just out of curiosity, what compelled you to tone one and not the other?

I realize you didn't ask for criticism but consider toning down the brightness in the background of the second photo, as that brightness pulls the eye away from the subject. It's already such a nice photo that fine tuning that detail will be well worth the time.

Real Name
Bill Walderman
This is actually my favorite style of portraiture and you made it happen very nicely. Just out of curiosity, what compelled you to tone one and not the other?

I realize you didn't ask for criticism but consider toning down the brightness in the background of the second photo, as that brightness pulls the eye away from the subject. It's already such a nice photo that fine tuning that detail will be well worth the time.
Thank you, Mike. Both are slightly toned, but I wasn't able to get quite the same effect in both. I was aiming for a very slight dark brown tone. I tried to lower the bright objects in both of them, recognizing that they are distracting, but with my limited processing skills was not as successful as I would have liked. I may give it another try at some point. These were just grab shots.

Nicely done—helps to have a most interesting face and an interested and cooperative subject. Bravo!
Thank you, Palouse. As we grow older, our faces become more interesting.

Incidentally, I deliberately reduced the sharpness slightly on both of these.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom