two lenses, three shots …

Two very different lenses net very different looks:

L1040665-35Lux.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

L1040679-Rolltreppe.jpg

L1040694-%22Aston%20Martin%20Rapide%22.jpg

Nice series Dirk... I really liking that 1st shot, well done...

Thanks Wally - the misses is not too satisfied - that 35mm is too crazy sharp :tongue:

+1 I like #1 too :smile:

Thanks Al.
I liked the light in this restaurant (actually on the boarder for the M8 sensor, shot @ f1.4, 1/60 during a conversation and on the last ISO stop, I shoot comfortably + a little push).

all nice grabs Dirk, but i like the comp of #3.

off topic, are you in HK?

Thank you Vince - I like, how the Noctilux draws cars wide open.

I am in Shanghai / China Mainland.

Hi Dirk, these are very nice. I have a question for you: I will be in the Shanghai area on in late April, and I'm planning to go to Xitang to photograph the Chinese water town look. Do you recommend Xitang? Or some other water town such as Tongli or Wuzhen?

I'll also be in Shanghai for a day or two as well, and I'm thinking of doing some street photography in the Nanjing Lu area or the Bund. What do you recommend for shooting street in Shanghai?

Dude! Three more winners! The first is a stunner... great tonal range, lovely bokeh, beautiful comp... Wow! The 35 does rock, Dirk! My fav is #2, though... love the angle and the feeling of movement. The 50 is a pretty fair lens, too! And #3, well, you show off your fine eye and sense of form and shape. Just lovely. Really fine shootin'!

Hi Dirk, these are very nice. I have a question for you: I will be in the Shanghai area on in late April, and I'm planning to go to Xitang to photograph the Chinese water town look. Do you recommend Xitang? Or some other water town such as Tongli or Wuzhen?

I'll also be in Shanghai for a day or two as well, and I'm thinking of doing some street photography in the Nanjing Lu area or the Bund. What do you recommend for shooting street in Shanghai?

Thanks!

If you come around, give me a message!
I have been only to Xitang so far, but as most places touristic, I have seen, it is very busy and not much original to me (proof is, that until today, I have not developed the 3 or 4 rolls I shot and the digital files from that weekend).

When I was in Xitang, it has been a busy weekend with the main routes around the place very crowded.
If you are interested, I recommend, to try, to stay one night in one of the hotel rooms in the place, to enjoy the great look at evening/night/morning. This should be quite nice (we left in the late after noon).

I am not a big fan of shooting around Nanjing Pedestrian Rd. as of the people, advertising their shady business sternly concentrated on foreigners (watch, bags, DVD, massage, lady bar, …). This is very annoying, but got cleaned up quite substantially with the push of the officials during the EXPO.

I recommend (as a low light and night shooter) the closing hours in Shanghai in every major shopping place.
It is always very busy with many opportunities, as shops close and people rush back home, trying to catch a taxi or the last metros.

The usual sightseeing places are always a nice thing to visit, with many photo opportunities, as people are busy around them - even after seeing the usual suspects many times with visitors, it doesn't bore ;-)

As a town person, I can only say, that 1 or 2 days are wayyyyyyyy to short for a visit to Shanghai.
Only recently had I friends here, who couldn't have possibly seen enough after two weeks.

Dude! Three more winners! The first is a stunner... great tonal range, lovely bokeh, beautiful comp... Wow! The 35 does rock, Dirk! My fav is #2, though... love the angle and the feeling of movement. The 50 is a pretty fair lens, too! And #3, well, you show off your fine eye and sense of form and shape. Just lovely. Really fine shootin'!

Thank you Doug, that's too kind though ;-)

Actually, the second shot is also my favorite, as it shows some character of my favorite lens (it's not about the thin dof).

It is very, very difficult, to see this in web sized images, but any print from A5 up really shows this.

Here is a crop :

L1040679-Rolltreppe-crop.jpg

This lens shows the finest detail with a huuge portion of "angel dust" mixed in.
This shot is a bit soft, as I shot it @ 1/45 on a moving escalator.

I love motor sports and can't wait for the beginning of the season, so I even end up, photographing cars in the showrooms and streets in Shanghai … weird huh?

Thanks for the detailed reply Dirk. I've been to Shanghai about 8 times in the 1990s, so I've seen most of the typical tourist sites in the past. I'm more interested in photographing the modern zeitgeist of Shanghai, but not sure where to do it. Also, is Xintaindi worth a visit?

As for Xitang, I was thinking of going on a Thursday and returning to Shanghai on Friday night. That would help me avoid most of the Shanghai day trippers.

Thanks!

If you come around, give me a message!
I have been only to Xitang so far, but as most places touristic, I have seen, it is very busy and not much original to me (proof is, that until today, I have not developed the 3 or 4 rolls I shot and the digital files from that weekend).

When I was in Xitang, it has been a busy weekend with the main routes around the place very crowded.
If you are interested, I recommend, to try, to stay one night in one of the hotel rooms in the place, to enjoy the great look at evening/night/morning. This should be quite nice (we left in the late after noon).

I am not a big fan of shooting around Nanjing Pedestrian Rd. as of the people, advertising their shady business sternly concentrated on foreigners (watch, bags, DVD, massage, lady bar, …). This is very annoying, but got cleaned up quite substantially with the push of the officials during the EXPO.

I recommend (as a low light and night shooter) the closing hours in Shanghai in every major shopping place.
It is always very busy with many opportunities, as shops close and people rush back home, trying to catch a taxi or the last metros.

The usual sightseeing places are always a nice thing to visit, with many photo opportunities, as people are busy around them - even after seeing the usual suspects many times with visitors, it doesn't bore ;-)

As a town person, I can only say, that 1 or 2 days are wayyyyyyyy to short for a visit to Shanghai.
Only recently had I friends here, who couldn't have possibly seen enough after two weeks.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom