Two lights

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by ednaz, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Basement work. One light to the right at 45degrees reflecting off an umbrella, one light blowing out the white backdrop. Small piece of white foamcore to bounce a bit of light onto the doll.

Yes it's a self portrait. If you've got bags under your eyes, you might as well use them to effect...

Comments? (Other than "Lock up the children!")

[​IMG]

(d2x, 17-35AFS)

2. Ed, with all due respect, this shot is a little creepy! :) The bags aren't too bad but if you'd like we could PS them and make your skin look like the dolls. Either you're very creative or you have too much time on your hands. ;)

3. Creepy is good sometimes...

Both.

I find it hard to do this kind of thing, as there's no way to be sure exactly where you're going to be in the frame, or how the light's going to work. It ends up being a very intense form of chimping.

I've got a different doll I'm going to work with and do what you suggested here. I'm going to turn my face into doll-smooth, and age the doll. Kind of a Dorian Gray thing.

4. JCPhoto

JCPhoto Guest

Nice Shot. I'm so sick of seeing the stay at home mothers, Grandparent's and retired folk posting their idea's of portrait work which amounts to little more than snapshots of family and friends. It's nice to see some creative picture taking being attempted. To me pushing the boundaries is the most fun and interesting to view. Sometimes creepy is good.

5. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Creepy, but different, that's for sure

Looks like you're about to tear the head off that doll. Good job on the lighting, Ed

6. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    At the risk of hijacking Eds thread, imaginative work by the way, I have to take issue with your remark about 'stay at home mothers, Grandparents and retired folk".
    As for the first category, the stay at home mothers, there isn't a more important job in the world. They're usually the medical advisor, chief cook and bottle washer, homework supervisor and Chief Financial Officer. Thats just a partial list of the requirements for the job. They know how to do things we mere mortals can only dream of doing.
    Grandparents, God love'm. Where would a lot of kids be without them? They're the ones kids will tell all to, knowing they'll get a kind, understanding answer born of years of experience.
    Retired people... , retired from what? Many here were very successful business people, all kinds of business'.... Real Estate, tech industries, investors, sales.. just to name a few. Most, if not all, learned to do many things well, not just photography.
    As for snapshots of the family and friends, the average person will never take a more important picture than of someone in those two groups. Long after the shock photo, the outer edge photo, the perfectly lit most beautiful model photo, is forgotten.. the family shots will be treasured.
    Most of the people on this forum are not professional photographers. I dare say most of them don't want to be. They do want to be the best amature they can be. They want to learn the basics of lighting and posing, how to do good bird photography or macros.... so that their work will rise a notch or two, at least, from where they are now. Thats an admirable trait, to want to improve.
    I'm not trying to be argumentive, I suspect you're a young person no more than 25 or 30. You probably have a long way to go before you can join the esteemed ranks of the Stay At Home Moms, the Grandparents and the Retired.
    I sincerely hope I have not come across as offensive, for that was not what I intended. I guess one of the things I've learned in life is to be careful about being too judgemental, especially to someone or some group in whose shoes I've never walked.
    Jarrell :)

7. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Well said Jarrell. It takes all kinds, and even if you do like more "experimental" types of portrait photography that doesn't mean there's no room for the other types. No need to put any one style down just because you prefer another.

Getting back to your shot ednaz, I think it's well executed. I agree with Kevin that the doll adds an edgy, slightly creepy vibe to the picture. Not that there's anything wrong with that. :) Self-portraits are tough to execute well, but you did a good job not only with focus and lighting but also posing/head angle.

8. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    I've been trying to figure out what this shot reminds me of and I finally remembered.
    Jack Nicolson in... oh what was the name of the movie.. the one where he and his family are 'housesitting' a hotel way back up in the mountains.
    "Heeeeers Johnny!"
    Anyway, you did a good job on the picture all the way around. The facial expression is just right, you got the thumb in there to show you're holding the doll. Lighting is good.
    Yep... creepy.. :)
    Jarrell

9. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    That would be "The Shining". :)

10. Jarrell, maybe you're referring to "The Shining". That's one of the best all-time thrillers made.

Ed, did you ever manage to do the Dorian Gray idea? I'd be interested in seeing it. I give you a lot of credit for coming up with creative ideas like this! ;)

11. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I can hardly wait until the 'Ban User' button is available.

Ed - great shot! I love the eerie/creepy look, especially when it is high key like this. So full of incongruities. The picture MAKES you take a second look.

12. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Hi Jarrell,

This JCPhoto reminds me of a troll I once had words with on DPR, his language and diatribe against hobby shooters is the same. If it is him, he does some of the most boring model work I've ever seen.

To rail against snapshots is going against the grain of modern photographic curation. Currently making the rounds of some of the biggest museums in the country are not one, but TWO exhibits of snapshots of family members. None of the photos are credited, but rather the concept of the snapshot is being examined.

Too bad JC doesn't get it, it might just help him with his own vision problem.

13. Nice one, JCPhoto, your very first post on our site and you have to insult people??? (I second Chris on waiting for the Ban User button.) That's NOT who we are around here, and never will be. We accept all types of photography - point and shoots, pros, amachewers ;) and all sorts. Sure hope you don't need a question answered because around here, you just pissed on about 90% of the folks and that's not nice!
    I'll stick up for the stay at home moms, the grandparents and the retired. There's an incredible wealth of information stored up in those brains and I'll tap them all I can.
    This is like the guy who went to my pbase site, went to a folder called "Flowers" and railed against the fact that I was shooting flowers. Guess the BACK button wasn't working on his program. DOLT.

Ed, there's a terrific book out by Katrin Eismann - she's just terrific - and I can have those bags gone in 30 seconds!! *LOL* Guess the heat wave is really hitting ya hard there in Joisey if you're shooting dolls in the basement! Cool shot - very sinister!

14. JCPhoto

JCPhoto Guest

Wow it sounds like the villagers have lighted the torches and are coming to kill the monster. I knew when I posted that answer I hadn’t given enough information to explain what seemed to be an attack on three of the most hallowed institutions in America. To start out I’m a grandfather and my wife was a stay at home mother. I’m 56 (not 23) with 4 grandkids. I’m a retired fireman from Chicago who is retired from a duty injury. I’m home now recovering from a knee replacement and spinal surgery. I suppose I could use the excuse that it was the meds. Don’t worry I won’t. To explain my reply a little better. I have a portrait business when I ‘m doing better and have subscribed to at least 30 email and forum lists on the web. Most of the ones I sub to are portrait based because of my interests. The lists that are specific to people photography have a majority of posters who are retired people or stay at home mothers who have like me have gotten the idea that going into photography would be a great way to make some money on the side. They put up a web site buy a digital camera, a few Alien Bee’s strobes and go into business. A few posters (not all) after buying the equipment and starting their web site ask questions about what a softbox is or how to shoot out of automatic. I feel it’s a responsibility of those who present themselves as even semi pro shooters to do some homework about the craft they choose to follow. It is for me a personal thing that people should try to create more interesting work. I really don’t have anything against their enterprise but day after day they post snapshot pictures of their kids in various poses and post them for critique. Again I think it’s great they are proud of their kids and I know it’s hard to find subjects to practice on when you’re beginning. It’s just that when I saw the picture posted here it struck me as fresh and innovative. A breath of fresh air in a sea of snapshots. I do apologize if I offended any of the three categories above or any of you members here and hope I stated my case a little better. And get your finger off that button :)….Jim C

15. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Well darn!! Snuff out the torches everybody and put the tar and feathers away. Jim, we thought we had a live one. We didn't mean any harm, not much anyway... :) It was just the way your reply came across and THAT is one of the dangers of forums because you really can't see things like facial expressions or a tone of voice.
    I apologize if I came on too strong, I misread you. We grandparents have to take care of each other.
    Jarrell

16. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Arrite JC, I won't ban ya. You've responded in a way that explains your post admirably. If only you could have been so eloquent the first time, eh? From your answer, you aren't the guy I was thinking you were, so carry on.

Here's a hint. If people want a brutal evaluation of their photography, they will ask for it here, by saying 'critique me' or something like that. Otherwise, assume they are showing off something they are proud of - from their own personal viewpoint. No critique is needed.

We kinda pride ourselves here at the Cafe at being friendly to folks who aren't trying to be the next ... 'IT' photographer. Folks here are having fun. Lets keep it that way, ok?

How 'bout you stop by our 'New Member Introductions' forum and introduce yourself to the members at large. I'll bet they're a whole lot friendlier than me.

17. JCPhoto

JCPhoto Guest

Thanks to you all for understanding my lapse in tact. I forget how careful you have to be in posting your comments in a written forum. I've done it enough in the past and should have known how it would sound. You seem to be a great bunch of villagers. I hope to be a positive contributer around here and will definitely enjoy your community. I'll stop by the new member intro forum and introduce myself tonight. Did I mention I hate babies and little kitties! Oh well that's another post.

18. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Me too. :twisted:

Great, because I for one, can use all the help I can get. Welcome!

19. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    "Did I mention I hate babies and little kitties!"

Lol... oh the cat lovers are gonna... well, it won't be pretty.. :lol:
    Jarrell

20. Dodger!!!! Sic 'im and when you're done, give him a little present in his shoe!

JC, must admit, thought you were some 20-something little sh*t disturber raining on our parade here. We've all come here, some from 'other miserable places', to find a friendly corner where we can just all talk about photography, no 'my camera is better than yours', no insults, no arguments, no rants and we really do spin out the soapbox in a heartbeat when we presume to be under attack.
    You might wanna go out and come in again! *LOL*