Two moons!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RKnecht, Aug 2, 2007.

1. This should make for a great photos for those who may be interested:

Planet Mars will be the brightest in the night sky starting August.
    It will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye. This will cultivate on Aug. 27 when Mars comes within 34.65 Million miles of earth. Be sure to watch the sky on Aug. 27 12:30 am. (Midnight) It will look like the earth has 2 moons. The next time Mars may come this close is in 2287.
    Share this with your friends as NO ONE ALIVE TODAY will ever see it again.
  2. nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    you got that email, also. just like last year. :biggrin:

Mars may be bright, but it wont look like too moons. 35 million miles has a way of shrinking things. :wink:
  3. Oh Please Rich. Don't fall for email hoaxes. Besides using a little common sense, this email has been doing the rounds every year for the last few.

The Bad Astronomer has debunked it artfully here, here, and here.

Oh, and the latest here with a cartoon too!
  4. Yep - I got this one again a couple of days ago, too... It pops up every now & then.
  5. OK...I've been had. Damn I hate when that happens:mad: I should have used my common sense and researched it before I made a fool of myself...and I thought I finally went a day without being a fool....OH well, I'll just have to try harder tomorrow.
  6. Yea I fell for that one as well. Heck I put a reminder in my Outlook calender!!
  7. Not to worry we love you anyway. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
  8. ANY time you get an email urging you to "share it with all your friends..." that's a huge tipoff that whatever the email is purportedly about is a scam. An excellent resource for checking on such things is, which has done a wonderful job of compiling and debunking urban legends, email spams, etc.
  9. Look into the night sky on August 28th though and you'll witness a lunar eclipse. I sat and watched the last one back in March and was amazed at what i saw. More info on the next one can be found on NASA's website - Aug 28th Lunar Eclipse

Edited to add - should be visible from the 'mericas :biggrin: