1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Two more lenses from FotoFile Bangkok; "The Beast" and 80-200 AF-D push/pull

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by craig.martell, Aug 27, 2008.

1. OMG, FotoFile is going to financially ruin me!! :eek: :eek: 

I was being a good brother-in-law and buying my wife's sister a Sigma 10-20 for her artwork, when I thought I would stop back in to FotoFile to see what else they had. Well I left with a 28-70/2.8 in VG+/EX shape and a really externally beat-up but internally beautiful 80-200/2.8 AF push/pull. :866:

The 80-200/2.8 was 15,500 THB, or about $460 (is that high? I am not sure).

The 28-70/2.8 was a deal at 32,000 THB, or about $955.

The 80-200/2.8 is definitely staying here in Thailand for my sister-in-law. She now has my old D200, a Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, a 35-70/2.8, and this beautifully beat up 80-200/2.8. Not a bad kit.

I am not sure what I am going to do with the 28-70/2.8, but expect to see either it or my 35-70/2.8 in the for sale forum in the next week or two :biggrin:. One of them will have to go, just not sure which one :confused: .

Craig

2. Hi, Craig. You've assembled a fine kit for your sister-in-law. I'm just surprised you gifted her the d200 instead of your d80 :confused: .

The 28-70 will complement your current lens lineup nicely. It's an awesome event lens, and terrific as a studio lens.

3. Congrats! Those are my two most recent additions too! I was reluctant to spend big bucks on the 70-200 with all the malfunction horror stories, so I bought a push/pull 80-200 from KEH in like new condition. It's a monster but I love it. The Beast I bought here in the for sale forum, and it is also like new. You paid just a bit less than I did for the Beast and about the same as I did for the 80-200. You'll love the Beast, it rarely comes off my camera these days!

4. Thanks Frank,

I am looking forward to trying out the 28-70. As to what got gifted and why, well let's just say it was the end result of a long family discussion :wink:.

Craig

5. Great to know Sonya, thanks. I am looking forward to comparing the Beast to it's baby brother, the 35-70. There is a good chance that the weight of it might make me stick with the 35-70.

As to the 80-200, you definitely got the better deal since yours was in pristine condition, wasn't it? This one is definitely worn on the outside. But the shots are SHARP!!

Craig

6. lf911sc

lf911sc

Jun 15, 2008
    Monmouth, NJ
    How do the users of the push pull 80-200 like it? More spefically, how does it focus? I've read that it has problems aquiring focus and is slow to rack in and out, is that true or an issue? I always take those comments with a grain of salt.

7. Just got it, so I will let you know later. Sonya?

Craig

8. I chase toddlers, and have no trouble getting focus quickly. I'm SURE AFS is faster, but I'm used to slower lenses so it's not an issue for me. Besides, all the talk about the 80-200's having the same or better IQ than the 70-200 made it an easy choice. I'm all for saving over $1000 when I can, LOL!

9. APandya

APandya

Jul 2, 2008
    NJ
    To add to Sonya's comment

I own the push pull and have shot with the new AF-S VR monster 70-200.

IQ - I feel they are the same. Focus speed on the push/pull is slow compared to the AF-S, but not bad. I shoot wedding with the 80-200 and have no trouble in focusing.

I prefer the push pull when manual focusing, real simple with only 1 big ol ring!

10. Maybe I should make a trip to Thailand, seems like lenses there sell for a good price. While I'm at it, I'll take an elephant ride!

11. Only for some of the used lenses -- whose deals aren't really better than on the For Sale forum here. New lenses only come with a one-year warranty and are much more expensive. For example, the 24-70/2.8 goes for about $1900 here.

Craig

12. whyhan

whyhan

Jun 14, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I could use a brother-in-law like you :redface:

13. Jeff Jarvis

Jeff Jarvis

Sep 10, 2007
    Thailand
    Prices in Thailand are HIGH.
    If it is imported, it will cost a bundle because of the high duties.

Noodle Soup, Singha Beer or Thai Handicrafts are about the only real bargains.

14. I've owned the push-pull version of the 80-200, as well as the two-ring version (AF-D). Now I own the 70-200. The biggest advantages of the 70-200 are the focusing speed and VR. Additionally, the push-pull version doesn't have a tripod collar (which is a big deal to me). IQ is almost a wash, with only the slightest advantage going to the 70-200.

If I had to do it all again (knowing what I know now), I would've kept the 2-ring version of the 80-200. It focuses fast enough, and the IQ is outstanding.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.