Two New Canon Mirrorless Options

Real Name
Ken St John
FYI - Canon announced two new mirrorless cameras, the R5 and R6 (positioned similar to the "standard" DSLR 5Dmk4 and 6Dmk2 [which I have]). Specs are impressive - the R5 is 45MP sensor, ISO 100-51200, the R6 is 20MP sensor, ISO 100-102400. Other specs are pretty much shared - 1,043 AF points, 12fps mechanical shutter/20fps electronic shutter, face/eye AF tracking for people and animals (dogs, cats, birds), etc.

I'm still not interested in shelling out $$ for mirrorless for what I shoot, but I can see some real cool stuff here for folks who may need it. Sports at 20fps would be awesome!!
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Cheers!!

Ken

It sounds like they will be really great cameras. I'm not interested in switching brands, but I bet the Canon users will love them. I wonder how Sony compares to these. When competition pushes technology forward the consumers are the winners.

Gives the impression that Canon's first two were marketing placeholders while the engineers fully settled into place & arranged priorities. Z system forced them, no doubt. I'll never be a canoneer but it sounds like R5/6 are smooth transitions from their dSLR systems.

Real Name
Ian
Both of these are the pro-level cameras hat Canon users wanted when the R and RP fell short.

I don’t know that there’s a lot offered here that isn’t on the Z6/7 (other than the R5’s insane video specs, and the dual card slots).

I’m curious to see what Nikon will do. While the Z6/7 are great cameras, I know that in my local photography FB group page a number of Nikon users were hesitant to dump their DSLR’s for the Z cameras because of the lack of dual cards, and some hesitancy about the AF performance.

That is one area where Canon has a big leg up on Nikon. Canon has been using and refining their Dual Pixel AF for years in their DSLRs, whereas Nikon was almost learning as they went wih developing the AF system for the Z cameras (not really certain how much carryover there was from the 1 Series mirrorless cameras).

Real Name
Ken St John
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's funny, I had dual card slots in my D750, and I was a bit surprised that the 6D2 didn't. But, I use a 64GB card ... and I've never once felt the need for a second card!!

Ken

Real Name
Ian
It's funny, I had dual card slots in my D750, and I was a bit surprised that the 6D2 didn't. But, I use a 64GB card ... and I've never once felt the need for a second card!!

Ken
I think for wedding photogs, it’s the safety that the redundancy provides.

You really don’t want to be that person telling the newlyweds that you lost a portion of their images because an SD car corrupted on you.

I took my Z6 wih me to England last year and loved it. No qualms about the single card slot. But if shooting weddings, I can see why these new Canon cameras would be much favored over the R.

I think for wedding photogs, it’s the safety that the redundancy provides.

You really don’t want to be that person telling the newlyweds that you lost a portion of their images because an SD car corrupted on you.

I took my Z6 wih me to England last year and loved it. No qualms about the single card slot. But if shooting weddings, I can see why these new Canon cameras would be much favored over the R.
Our wedding photographer used film :D

Now that Canon has released their 2nd gen R bodies, the Canon RP and R will definitely drop in price. You will be able to shoot both EF and R for decent prices and slowly add R lenses as prices become more reasonable and/or if more 3rd party support comes in. Also if you're a 1DXm3 shooter, your b-camera can either be the R6 or R5 and you're set. Nikon needs to get their 2nd gen bodies out, update to the Z6/Z7 'S' bodies and release a high speed sports oriented mirrorless.

Saying that, I'm kind of tired of playing the upgrade game. My focus calibrated D750 bodies + AF tuned F-mount lenses are spot on!

If only the shutter would close on the Z series cameras when shut off...Canon got that one right! I suppose in 5-10 years, many will have forgot about the once-mighty DSLR.

Ken
I don't get to my second card, but I like it there for insurance. I store my camera away from my computer. I take out the card I had used and bring it to the computr to download when I get home. I am always afraid I may leave home without putting it back in the camera. Dual cards make me feel a bit more secure.

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
I shoot both Nikon and Canon necessitated 5 years ago because Canons tele lenses where very appealing (400 DO II and a much lighter 600mm F4, my poor back....) I actually think there is a lot of goodies in both these cameras compared to the Nikon Z6/Z7. Hopefully the rumored Z6s and Z7s will catch up with this soon.

Canon EOS R5 Key Features & Specs (with some comments from me in brackets)
  • All-new 45MP Canon-built full-frame CMOS sensor (Canon seems to finally have caught up in the dynamic range, see DPReviews 1DX MKIII review)
  • New DIGIC X image processor (from what I have seen it is VERY quick in tracking and changing tracking points this is very important to me)
  • Native ISO range of 100-51200 (expandable to 50-102400)
  • Updated Dual Pixel CMOS AF with approx. 100% frame coverage (the feedback on the live view of the new 1DX MKIII is very good on the AF)
  • 1053 AF zones, 5940 manually-selectable AF points
  • Deep Learning-based subject detection & tracking for people (Face/eye) and animals (dogs, cats, birds) (This is the critical issue for me, if it can track Birds eyes that is a big bonus for me as a birder)
  • In-Body Image Stabilization with up to 8 stops of rated correction (well if it does 5-6 then I will be happy, but I will test this with the RF 24-105)
  • Up to 12fps with mechanical shutter; 20fps with silent/electronic shutter (Just like the Sony A9 II, silent 20 fps for a birder this is great, will it be black out free will it be smooth refresh rate, all important for birding)
  • 8K RAW internal video recording (I'm not into Video but of you are...)
  • 8Kp30 DCI/UHD video
  • 4K Video up to 120fps
  • Internal video recording in all formats, with AF
  • Internal 10-bit 4:2:2 recording with Canon Log or HDR PQ
  • Dual Card Slots (1 CFexpress, 1 UHS-II SD) (Big buffer very important to me)
  • 5.76-million dot OLED EVF with 120 refresh rate (Big deal has to look natural, Nikon will for sure match this with new cameras, kills battery life though)
  • Vari-angle LCD touchscreen (Love this for general shooting)
  • Dual-band 2.4/5Ghz Wi-Fi + Bluetooth connectivity
  • Weather-sealed construction (of course)
  • US$3899.99 body-only; US$4999 with 24-105L Lens Kit ( a bit on the high side room to come down at Christmas)

Both of these are the pro-level cameras hat Canon users wanted when the R and RP fell short.
I don’t know that there’s a lot offered here that isn’t on the Z6/7 (other than the R5’s insane video specs, and the dual card slots).

Reading this it sounds to me as though Canon is seriously aiming at Sony, trying to compete with and beat out Sony, more than it is Nikon at this point. Sony, with its A9 and A9 II, and with its current flagship the 61 MP A7R IV, offers many of the features and functions mentioned in that list above...... Both Canon and Nikon have lost customers and users to Sony over the past several years and there are various reasons why. Now they're each trying to catch up. More power to everybody -- competition is good for everyone, benefits all of us!

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
Yes I agree but they also have to KEEP existing customers, like me with big lens investments (100-400; 400mm DO II and 600mm IS II) From reading the specs and initial reviews This looks to me like it will stem the tide against Sony defections. The DPReview TV review of the R6 looks really good for tracking of the dogs eye's etc, very fast and responsive

These two cameras I think are competing against the A7III (24mp) and the A7RIV (61mp), and somewhat against Nikon z^ and Z7 as well. That implies that the A9 II competitor is partly the 1DXMKIII but that there is another camera in the coming pipeline to compete against the A9II, with even higher specs than the A9II (and Sony isn't sleeping either...)

The big question to me is Nikon where are you, there is a (leaked?!) rumor that a Z6s and Z7S are on the way later this fall, if the planned specs aren't closer to the R5, R6 and the Sony A9II specs then I think Nikon management must be sitting there wondering what to do, ship as is or delay and fix. I sure want Nikon to be on top of this, I would have preferred to buy Nikon, but the allure of the R5 (and R6) is very strong, I have the lenses and Tele extenders so I have ordered an R5, I'll let y'all know ;-)

Reading this it sounds to me as though Canon is seriously aiming at Sony, trying to compete with and beat out Sony, more than it is Nikon at this point. Sony, with its A9 and A9 II, and with its current flagship the 61 MP A7R IV, offers many of the features and functions mentioned in that list above...... Both Canon and Nikon have lost customers and users to Sony over the past several years and there are various reasons why. Now they're each trying to catch up. More power to everybody -- competition is good for everyone, benefits all of us!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom