Two new Z lenses to be announced tonight

Real Name
Andrew
I'm wondering if the thought is to have a 2 for 1 type lens. Have the 50FL in f/2.8 that doubles as a "normal" and can do macro for those that want both. Then they provide the 50/1.2 for the pros and bokeh lovers and the 50mm f/1.8S for the rest of the photographers that just want the "normal" and don't need the macro.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if the thought is to have a 2 for 1 type lens. Have the 50FL in f/1.8 that doubles as a "normal" and can do macro for those that want both. Then they provide the 50/1.2 for the pros and bokeh lovers and the 50mm f/1.8S for the rest of the photographers that just want the "normal" and don't need the macro.
Makes sense to me. I'm not a bokeh nut, but do occasionally crave a close focusing lens.

Real Name
Andy
The MC 50mm f/2.8 might be quite appealing to me. But I'm not yet prepared to retire my Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/2.8 AI which still reliably gets the job done after all these years.

Real Name
Aaron
Both macros? 50 seems an odd fl
Nikon made some 50mm and 55mm manual focus macros years ago. They made an early AF 55mm macro, then a 60mm. In more recent times, they produced AF-S 40mm (DX) and 60mm macros. Moving to mirrorless, it seems they split the difference and made just one lens at 50mm that can work on DX and FX. It also appears to align with the 28mm and 40mm compacts, closely matching Sony’s recent compact set but a little more versatile…

Nikon made some 50mm and 55mm manual focus macros years ago. They made an early AF 55mm macro, then a 60mm. In more recent times, they produced AF-S 40mm (DX) and 60mm macros. Moving to mirrorless, it seems they split the difference and made just one lens at 50mm that can work on DX and FX. It also appears to align with the 28mm and 40mm compacts, closely matching Sony’s recent compact set but a little more versatile…
I seem to remember a number of flower portraitists use 50mm and as others have mentioned 50mm is good for flat copy work so I suppose I shouldn't think it that odd. But honestly I find it hard to believe that Nikon gave any thought to DX.

I know DX sells well, but I suspect their margins give them pause in pursuing that market. I say that with no data whatsoever to back it up (n)

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
When I say this is right on time!

Last week I took delivery on a Laowa 100mm micro lens for the Z mount and didn’t care for it. The lens is currently in my car and is being returned to B&H today, as I made the decision to wait for a native Nikkor Z. And now look here - my wait is over! ?

Prices are about what I expected. Indeed, I expected the 105 to be $1100 - $1150.

The 50 weighs only 280 gm, so I may start with it. I've always enjoyed my 40mm DX micro.

Latest threads

Top Bottom