Two-on-Two-in-Newport

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Harry Lavo, May 17, 2007.

1. I posted an early version of this at the finish of a vacation in Newport, RI. Now I've had a chance to do some PP to make the shots better. So I've changed some shots and added a few.

The shots are from a pick-up game I ran across at a court near Goat Island bridge. Below are a seven of 18 shots

1/2000, f5.6, 300mm, ISO 800
    large.

1/2000, f5.6, 300mm, ISO 800
    large.

1/2000, f5.6, 135mm, ISO 800
    large.

1/2000, f6.3, 195mm, ISO 800
    large.

1/2000, f4.5, 135mm, ISO 800
    large.

1/2000, f5.6, 135mm, ISO 800
    [​IMG]

1/2000, f6.3, 195mm, ISO 800
    large.

I'm still trying to improve my action shooting and PP techniques...so C&C welcome. I've posted pbase 800x600 here to fit the page; if you'd like to see larger originals or the other shots, please visit :

http://www.pbase.com/hflphotos/twoontwo_in_newport

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2007
  2. Zee71

Zee71

Apr 1, 2007
    Queens, NY
    What were your camera settings (ISO, f-stop, speed, etc.)? I'm also trying to improve my sports action shooting. I've been able to capture some reasonably good shots, but on some the main subject was not in focus. I think my autofocus was set to continous as opposed to single or manual focus. Additionally, depending on the lens you're shooting with, a monopod or tripod might help as well.

3. You are of course correct...I thought the EXIF would transfer into pbase with the original (as they ususally do) but for some reason they did not...except for the last one.

ISO was not recorded, but either was 200 or 200 w/auto increase if required. I believe it was fixed 200 because the light was good.

The first was shot at 1/320, f/9.0, shutter priority, 195mm just as I got there and started shooting. I realized after a few shots that I hadn't upped the shutter speed, so did so and after that (the last three shots) I shot at 1/2000, f/5.6 or 6.3. The seond and third shots were at 135mm, the fourth again at 195mm.

Clearly the higher shutter speed is required for real clarity...I wonder how low one can go and still get that: 1/1000?? For much of my shooting (baseball late on summer days, or night baseball) 1/1000 will probably be tops.

And just as obviously a lower f-stop contributes to out-of-focus background. As I examine these shots (now that I am home and not busy shooting) I can see that I probably would have been better moving much further away and using the 250-300mm range of the lense. Even with the lower f-stops, 135mm is not enough to create a significantly out-of-focus background at f-5.6-6.3.

Most of the shots I took were sharp....here's one of the ball in the net...

But I did find I had the camera in continuous autofocus and several shots where the action did not fall central to the lense the camera focused on background. I will be switching back to single-shot focus again this year for baseball, I think...it seems to do better. I guess this is the problem you are having as well.

Let me know what you think of the settings on the latter three shots, and what you have found preferable. Do you shoot basketball?

4. Mark -

I've now had a chance to do post-production and have added and changed some shots in my original post. As you suggested, I've added exif info for each shot...and I was wrong when I said they were shot at iso200...they were actually shot at iso800 to get the really high 1/2000 shutter speed...trade-off is just a touch of grain.

Would appreciate you taking another look and letting me hear your analysis.