1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

TWO PICS ADDED: FINAL Update on My Infant Nephew - He's movin' on up!

Discussion in 'People' started by Mike Buckley, Aug 20, 2008.

1. I am so excited to post this final thread about Matthew Jr.'s last full day in the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) that I am connecting with you folks after having processed only one picture. He graduates today and is being transferred to a new hospital.

His new home will be sort of a halfway house for newborns. Unlike the NICU, the lights will be turned out at night and the activity level of nurses and doctors in his area will be far less hectic. The new ambience will be a great transition to his lifestyle once his parents take him home.

The only reason he is going to a new hospital rather than home is because he needs to first learn how to eat regularly on his own without any assistance from the tube that transfers milk and formula to his stomach. That's his only remaining connection to life-support equipment.

This being the final thread about Matthew Jr.'s very scary first two months in our world, I want to make a special point of letting you know how much I and the family appreciate your public and private messages. I continue to pass on your good wishes and kind thoughts to Matthew and his parents, most recently last night. I can't imagine a better way to celebrate Matthew's move on up than to thank all of you!

If I find other pictures worth posting... [EDIT: Two more pictures are added to this post.] It was only his second bottle feeding; his nurse gave him the first one earlier in the day. He took to it very well both times, which is a great sign.

101998567.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

first feeding by his mother

View attachment 241275
    holding hands

View attachment 241276
    back to bed after being fed

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2008
  2. Great news Mike! Thanks for the update. I love the expression in his eyes "Whatever this thing you've put in my mouth is...don't stop!" :biggrin:

3. hangman

hangman

Aug 13, 2006
    Lone Star State
    That is absolutely super awesome news! As a father of three young kids, I don't even want to imagine what you and your family have gone through in the past few months. I am so happy to hear that everything turned out great and that Matthew Jr. is doing so well. Best wishes contiue to go out to you and your family..

4. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    He's looking so much more alert now.... Yay Matthew!

5. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

Praise God!

6. Awesome news---for all of you! Thanks for sharing. Matthew looks so alert now!

7. Really great news!! Thanks for sharing this with us, Mike!

The NEXT big news you'll be bringing us is when he goes home for good! :smile:

8. fantastic news.. god bless him

9. May God bless this beautiful child and his brave parents. I'm sure they'll cherish your pictures, Mike.

10. KG72

KG72 Guest

Great news!

11. +1:smile:

12. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!

Ditto on what Nute said. :645:

13. Hooray, Matthew!! Taking two bottles well is an excellent sign!!! Two months seems like an eternity when you have a baby in the NICU. I bet the next weeks go by much faster as mom will be busy feeding little Matthew.

Congratulations. This is fantastic news. Look how bright his eyes are.

14. Thanks to everyone for the upbeat comments! I can't wait to take a look at the other pictures tonight, hoping there are a few more keepers.

About those eyes: I don't know anything about babies, but his eyes still look black in person because there is no distinction between the pupil and the area immediately around it. I was able to pull out the greenish color of his eyes by laying a color control point (gotta love Capture NX2) on that area and brightening it a tad. Okay, maybe a tad and a half. :smile:

15. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Fantastic news, Mike. I'm going to get going on that package I promised! :wink:

16. EssieK

EssieK Guest

Good and heart-grabbing shot. My best wishes for the entire family!

17. Two more pictures were added to the first post.

18. EssieK

EssieK Guest

Man that shot #2 got to me :smile: Talk about a picture saying more than a thousand words

19. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    Mike - this makes me feel so happy to hear this news. I am so happy for you and your family.

Here's to contunued progress !

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.