Two portraits (large, 500K each)

Discussion in 'People' started by bendheim, Jun 18, 2005.

1. Explanations below....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ethical issues - I went to the opening of an exhibition yesterday by a South African artist, Peter Engblom who uses a mixture of photography and other media to produce fine artworks. His body of recent work is the mythological story of a Black Zulu male who travels to Japan in the early part of the 20th Century and meets a Japanese woman. At the opening one of the models was dressed up and I photographed her in situ. In a sense, these portraits have a stylistic look that is not dissimilar from Engblom's work - but as it was a purely informal image taken at the opening rather than a carefully contrived artwork, I guess it's morally sound and perhaps a tribute to his work rather than a copy. We always need to question ourselves, and sometimes image making can be a dilemma.

Technical issues - In case you think the lips and around the eyes are full of artifacts and oversharpening, they aren't. The application of the make-up is thick and full of some peculiar grainy substance in reality; in fact the images are minimally sharpened. The background painting has been partially desaturated to focus the viewer on the portrait.

Shot on a cunningly cool little Coopix 5400 which I picked up last week at a bargain price which makes the later Coolpixes seem very expensive. I think it's a wonderfully made, outstanding little gem of a camera to carry everywhere in my backpack -- excatly for shots like these. I also think that the 5MP prosumer cameras deliver better results in many cases than their bigger 7 and 8 MP brothers. The race for more megapixels is not always the answer in image quality terms....

OK, that's me done !

2. Very interesting. How would you like to have to put that makeup on before you went out in the evening? Thanks for sharing the images and the story behind them.

3. Thanks Gordon...

4. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

5. Peter, I like your portrait of the model very much, but the painting in the background (which is certainly a work of art in its own), I find distracting. I wonder if a different background would make your portrait stronger.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

6. Hi Paul
    Thanks for your detailed comments - I've decided I feel fine about it ethically, it was after all just a real life model at an opening who was there to create atmosphere, and it's simply a portrait of her...
    Yes, 5MP is for me the prosumer sweet spot - My wife has a Sony V1 which also just gets it right.
    Thanks again,
    Peter

7. GreenCoal

GreenCoal Guest

Wow, I was bowled over by the fact that you took those super sharp portraits with a Coolpix 5400.

Yours is a class act, Peter!

8. Very nicely done, I still have my 5700 and I know the coolpix line can prodce some might fine shots

9. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I like it, and don't really see an ethical issue here. You've juxtaposed a person mimicing a painting in front of the painting (although I wish she had dressed the same as well - [I'm so shallow]). This is a well known and long practiced technique.

I think it started here:
    http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/velazquez/velazquez.meninas.jpg

By the way, your model is beautiful.