1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Two Questions about Windows Freeware & Cheapware

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Mike Buckley, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Question #1: Slideshow with Fade
    Do you know of a freeware or cheapware Windows slideshow that has a simple fade when showing the next image? IDimager's cataloging software includes a slideshow with a fade but the fade is jerky rather than smooth.

Question #2: Compare Feature & 100% Viewing Feature
    Digital Pro cataloging software has a fabulous compare feature that compares a frozen image on the right side of the screen with an image on the left side. The image on the left side can be moved to the previous image, moved to the next image or it can be deleted. While doing that, a magnifying glass can be moved around both images for viewing at 100%. It's a fabulous combination of features.

The only drawback is that I don't need the program for any other reason and the least expensive version of it costs $179. Do you know of any Windows freeware or cheapware that I can evaluate that offers a similar feature?

2. Pesto126

Pesto126

Apr 13, 2006
    Northeast USA
    Hey Mike - I found some tools for you.

I know you don't mind using some crazy tools (like I do!) so check this one out... http://www.labprints.com. It's basically software that many of the online print shops use to allow customers to manage their client photos... but a side benefit.. it is free and has the exact same side-by-side with 100% zoom you are looking for.

All you need to do is choose a print shop version (I used WHCC who I also happen to use to print my client photos with) but it doesn't matter which one you choose. After install, you can either create a real account (or use your own real account if you have one) or just create a dummy account... and then you'll get the main screen. Create a project and then import some photos you'd like to compare. Choose 2 of them and hit the compare button. You'll get a screen that looks like this:
    [​IMG]

Notice the red circle.. it lets you move from photo to photo on either side. At the top left is a magnifier.. use it to get 100% zoom.. just drag to the left and right to zoom in each photo. Of course, you can also load in as many photos to compare as you can fit on your screen... :) 

Question #1: Slideshow with Fade

Try out XNView - it has a quick and easy slideshow feature that has a decent crossfade feature.. not very configurable.. but very free.. and you get some other decent features as well... reminds me I need to review this program.. while not a DAM.. it is a fast thumbnail preview program :) 

If you want to turn those photos into slideshow movies.. check this one out!

Here is a really nice freeware slideshow creator that lets you control the amount of fade "detail".. but for creating movies from photos..

http://www.joern-thiemann.de/tools/SSMM/index.html

A bit of a funky interface.. but it is rich in fade features for a freeware tool...

[​IMG]

ENJOY!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2008
  3. Hi Mike,

ACDSee has both features. I haven't tried the latest version (10), but I probably need it for it to read NEF files from the D3/D300: version 9 does read NEF files from the D2H, though. It has its own DAM features too (in a database that is incompatible with anything else...)

See link

4. Thanks to all of you! I"ll check into your suggestions and get back atcha!

5. Pesto126

Pesto126

Apr 13, 2006
    Northeast USA
    Welcome.. I do know that the latest Pro 2 version of ACDSee does allow you side-by-side compares.. but you cannot move to the next photo - only the ones selected. The slideshow feature in Pro2 is good but the transition fade is a bit choppy as you described for Idimager. Good Luck!

6. havezet

havezet

Jul 10, 2008
    Netherlands

Mike, did you try the Light Table feature in IDI already? You can select two thumbs and press Ctrl+F3 to open the light table (or click that button in the toolbar). Then you can use the cursor keys to move one box to the next/prev image.

I hope my reply is in the right direction

Hert

7. Hi, Hert! Wow! I am really honored that your first post here at the Cafe is to answer my question. Welcome to the Cafe!

I'll check out the light table again when I get back home to the computer that has your software on it, but if I remember correctly it doesn't allow comparing two images side by side while at the same time using the 100% magnification. If it does do that, I'll be all set, though surprised that Andy didn't mention it to me. :biggrin: I'll get back to you.

8. havezet

havezet

Jul 10, 2008
    Netherlands
    Hi Mike,

Thank you for your welcome here at the Cafe.

Yes it does. You can either use the Z key to zoom to 100%. As an alternatice you can use Alt+Z to open the zoom window (a loop styled window). In the zoom window you can use the scroll mouse to zoom in/out as needed.

Hope that helps

Hert

9. Well, if that doesn't beat all. I had the capability in the program all along and didn't even know it. I look forward to checking it out first thing when I get home tonight. And if it serves my needs as I expect will happen, I won't bother waiting until the end of my 30-day trial period to whip out my credit card. :smile:

10. havezet

havezet

Jul 10, 2008
    Netherlands
    I hope IDI won't disappoint you in this area.

Hert

11. daveg

daveg

Jul 14, 2008
    UK
    Mike,

The BEST slide show software out there is Pictures To Exe and it can be found at:

http://www.wnsoft.com

There is a very active and very helpful forum which is monitored by the software developers at:

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php

It is not freeware but is NOT expensive.

It allows for Pan, Zoom and Rotate features and the possibility to overlay images. It supports JPEGs and PNG files for TEXT and "floating images".

It is worth downloading the free, fully featured trial and take a look at just how much is possible with this software.

DaveG

12. Unbelievable! My questions are bringing people out who post for the first time. Welcome to the Cafe, Dave.

I'll be sure to take a look at your suggestion later on.

13. daveg

daveg

Jul 14, 2008
    UK
  14. havezet

havezet

Jul 10, 2008
    Netherlands
    Mike,

For the next update I've made the fade more than twice as fast so it becomes less jerky.

Hope that helps

Hert

15. Hert,

That's one very powerful light box. It does stuff I haven't seen other programs do.

However, I would want the 100% viewing window to show an image that is 100% of the actual file size. I don't know what it's 100% of, but it isn't the file size.

I think the only way I can actally achieve 100% of the file size is to use the "+" key to increase the magnification. (Correct me if I'm wrong, because I hope I am.) Using the "+" key blows up the entire image, requiring that I use the Windows Hand Tool to view all parts of the image, which is cumbersome. Even so, I don't know what the percentages are a percentage of other than that they seem not to be percentages of the file size.

16. daveg

daveg

Jul 14, 2008
    UK
    Pictures to EXE allows for "Actual Pixels" viewing, either in a window or "Fit To Screen".

If, for instance, your monitor resolution is 1280x1024 and you don't want any zooming etc then your 1280x1024 images can be made to fill the screen at actual pixels (same as Photoshop's actual pixels). If you want to use the zooming feature and are going to use a zoom of 200% then your image would need to be 200% bigger.

Jerkiness in transitions in slide shows is a function of the amount of RAM and/or the quality of your graphics card. A GOOD dedicated graphics card with at least 256Mb of graphics RAM is recommended. (A laptop with shared graphics is, for instance, not a good idea for this kind of work).

DaveG

17. havezet

havezet

Jul 10, 2008
    Netherlands
    Hi Mike,

I'm not sure what your definition of 100% view is, but in general that is to view the actual pixels of the image. You can zoom to 100% by using the Z key on your keyboard. Press A to revert to a "best fit" size.

Is that what you are looking for? Or am I misinterpreting your question?

Hert

18. My graphics card is the ATI Radeon X1300 PRO that has onboard 256MB RAM. My computer is a dual core processor with 4GB of RAM.

19. Hert,

I think you and I are on the same page with regard to what is supposed to happen when viewing at 100%, so I'll try to explain exactly what is happening. I'll explain several situations in great detail with the hope that you can figure out what I and/or the software are doing wrong.

That's because the software is not behaving exactly as described in the help screen and it isn't behaving as I understand it should from your helpful posts. I wonder if something maybe became corrupted during the download or installation or if it's the usual situation of operator error. (By the way, I hope you saw my comment in the other thread that your documentation is the best I've seen in years, especially compared to your direct competition and to Nikon software.)

If it matters, my monitor is 24" with the resolution set to 1680 x 1050. EDIT: The information provided below pertains to NEFs that are about 3550 x 2400 pixels.

Images Opened in Image Editor Mode
    I load the program and follow that up with setting Tools >> Options >> Image Viewing to "Image Editor" using "apply" and "OK." I double click on a thumbnail that is in landscape orientation and the image appears in the top left corner of the viewer taking up about one-third of the viewing area. It does not fill the viewer as shown in the help screen showing how to open an image. Pressing Z changes nothing. If I press "+" twice, it fills the viewing area. If I then press Z, the image returns to the first size in the top left corner.

When I Shift double click the image, I am viewing the image within the Full Screen Viewer. (It also works if I simply doubleclick even though the help screen says to Shift double click. Shift Enter changes nothing, contrary to the help screen.) A small indicator appears for a couple seconds informing me that the image is at 100%. However, the image appears in the center, taking up only slightly more than one-eigth of the viewing area.

When I press Z, nothing happens. When I press Ctrl Z, the scrolling 100% viewing window appears. However, if I measure (using a tape measure) an item such as the horizontal dimension of a placard within the 100% viewing window, it is exactly the same size as the display within the viewing area.

When I then close the 100% View scrolling window, pressing Z still changes nothing. Instead, I can increase and decrease the viewing size by pressing "+" and "-". Sometimes information is provided to let me know what the viewing size is, sometimes not. When using the 100% View scrolling window, the image size remains constant regardless of the size in the larger viewing area, as I assume is supposed to happen.

From that point forward, if I return to the Image Editor the image is displayed in the size that was last displayed in the Full Screen Viewer. I can easily change the size using "+," "-," or Z. (Z changes it to a relatively small image appearing in the top left corner.) Similarly, if I return to the thumbnails and double click on one, that one appears in the Image Editor in the same size as an image last appeared in the Full Screen Viewer.

Images Opened in Full Screen Viewer
    I load the program and follow that up with setting Tools >> Options >> Image Viewing to "Full Screen Viewer" using "apply" and "OK." I double click on a thumbnail that is in landscape orientation and the image appears in the the Full Screen Viewer. Once I'm there, it behaves exactly as described above when accessing the Full Screen Viewer from the Image Editor.

(On a separate note, I can't imagine why I would set the Options to open an image in the Full Screen Viewer. Doing so eliminates the opportunity to use the Image Editor. Yet if I open images in the Image Editor, it's so easy to access the Full Screen Viewer.)

Viewing Images in the Light Table
    Pressing Z, "+," "-" and Ctrl Z works exactly as described above when doing so using the Image Editor and the Full Screen Viewer.

Any ideas about the 100% View scrolling window now that you've patiently waded through all of the above? Am I missing something? Thanks for both your patience and your persistence.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2008
  20. havezet

havezet

Jul 10, 2008
    Netherlands
    Mike,

Could it be that IDimager is in Preview mode? Check if the P-icon in the upper right corner of the application is lit green. If so, click it again to switch it off.

In preview mode, IDimager will only work with previews (as the name suggests), meaning if you open the image it won't open the original image but the stored preview from the database.

Does that help?

Hert

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.