Two questions for you about the D2X

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Catz, Mar 4, 2005.

1. I can't find anywhere in the manual or on the camera where it shoots b/w. So what I am asking for, is does it?

Second question, what setting is 12mp? I'm sorry but with the S2 it was so easy to see.

Thanks for helping a Nikon newbie!

Melissa

2. tweber

tweber

Feb 12, 2005
    St. Louis
    No B&W Cat

Read up on the file size section in the manual, but the short answer. Nefs and jpeg fine are 12 mp... Hope that helps.

Tom

3. Catz,

I might be wrong, but what I do to get black and white is drag the saturation bar back when I'm processing the image. With no saturation, you get color. I guess this is the same in all digital photography. You can also change the mode in the image menu of PhotoShop.

Steve

4. bpetterson

bpetterson Guest

For Black and White.
    Just shoot color.
    When in Nikon Capture 4.2
    Photo Effects- you have selection of
    None, Black and White, Sepia, or Tinted.

As to what to get started with and what I have reduced myself to
    is -quality just jpg - normal- medium.
    Then if you want change to just Raw or Raw plus jpg still at normal and medium.

Why- well NC 4.2 is very slow at full max resolution.
    Nikon is working feverishly at fixing this.

Birger

5. Re: No B&W Cat

Hi Tom,

I shot a picture in Jpg fine but the megapixels were not around 4000x3000 something which is what 12 mp are suppose to be. Somewhere around that figure. Right or wrong? I haven't tried a Nef file using the D2X but that is next on my list.

Thanks,

Melissa

6. Hi Birger,

Thanks for the info. I have to get out of the habit that I am now using a Nikon and not a Fuji because on Fuji it gives you the choice of b/w or color.

I will give your settings a try and see how it goes.

Melissa

7. Hi Steve,

I thank you too for an answer. I just didn't know if the D2X did b/w without post processing.

Melissa

8. Instead of desaturating your image try using the color channel mixer in PS - it allows for much tighter control of how the 3 channels go together for the best possible B&W image. This is something that was never possible with film and not possible if you shoot in B&W with a dSLR. There are also a host of other methods for using the 3 color channels creatively to get stunning results.

EXPERIMENT!! and practice practice practice. :D

9. For Todd

Thank you Todd, I have used the channel mixer before using a tutorial in a photoshop book and it turned out really nice. I was unaware that shooting b/w in a dslr gave you as nice of results as other methods but then again, I haven't printed DSLR b/w.

Melissa

10. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Check B&W done in NC, Mel!

Same pic I just put up in color, but this time I did the entire resizing of the previoiusly saved tiff + BW conversion w/final sharpening in NC4. After resizing it, I went to "Photo Effects" and selected "Tinted", then slid the "Enhance Dark Tones" to -18, then the Yellow/Blue Slider to -20 too. Not bad. This is the 1st time I've done this in NC. Increasing the Yellow gave it kind of an old pic feel.
    original.

11. Steven,

Really nice job. I don't think you could have acheived the same effect in PS. I haven't had the pleasure of using CS but it is installed. I also haven't installed this Picture Perfect Nikon gave me. What does this program do?

Melissa

12. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    PP to be discontinued

I never installed it, but I hear from others it's a worthless program. Nikon has reversed it's previous statement and announced that they plan to continue supporting N View. You should really start using NC4. It really doesn't take long to learn it, esp with all of us around! ;)

13. tweber

tweber

Feb 12, 2005
    St. Louis
    Re: No B&W Cat

Melissa,

We're putting our house on the market Tuesday so there hasn't been much time for photography. But, I finally got around to testing your question. I just upload a few jpeg fines and lo and behold they come out 4288 x 2848, just like the nefs.

If you're havintg trouble be sure you're not shooting HSM and that it's fine, not normal.

Tom