1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Two-ring 80-200mm as an emergency macro substitute

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Harry Lavo, Jul 26, 2009.

1. The Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8's do not focus particularly close (about 1:7). But this lens has decent bokeh and when teamed with the D300's pixel density/cropping ability, can be pressed into service as a macro-substitue when needed.

The following was shot at 135mm (my two-rings sharpest tele point). I've included a full frame shot of the berry bush for comparison.

original.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

original.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Just another reason why I consider this the best value, most versatile lens in my kit. For those of you considering it.

2. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    Harry:

Add a Canon 500D to your pack, and the 80-200 is a real Macro:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. A Nikon 6T and step down ring will work too.

4. Actually I have the Olympus equivalent @67mm and step up rings from 52 and 57mm, but no step down rings. Perhaps I'll invest in 67mm and 77mm's for it. I use that close-up attachment mostly with my 85mm, and it works, but it is tough to get DOF with the closeup attachments, I find.

5. Jeff Lee,
    Fantastic Macros, what equipment do you use for dragonflies?
    Amazing photos. ( I've only looked at 2 and a fraction of your galleries.)

6. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    I normally use either my 80-200 KenkoPro 1.4/Canon 500D or my 300 AFS TCE 1.4/1.7.

Thank you for the compliments.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.