1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Two SB flash units and an 85 1.4...

Discussion in 'People' started by gnagel, Jul 12, 2008.

1. I'm new to off-camera flash (three sessions)--so any constructive criticism is appreciated.

This was a photo I captured a couple of days ago of a daughter of a friend. For my main light (camera left), I fired a SB-800 through a Photek Softlighter II. For fill, I shot a SB-600 through a white umbrella (camera slightly right). The camera was my D300 and I used a 85 f/1.4 lens.

1/160th @ f/8, ISO 200

p841395404-5.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks for looking...
    Glenn

2. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    This looks pretty good Glenn

It looks as if you used a hairlight also -- did you? What height was your main
    and you fill light ?

3. I didn't use a hairlight.

I placed my main light about a foot over the girl's head and I had the fill light positioned quite low (about two feet below the girl's head. I cloned out the catchlights from the fill light.

Thanks,
    Glenn

4. I think the pose, lighting, wb are all perfect. I just think it needs a tad more contrast. The DOF is perfect. Really nice job!!

5. Wow--3rd time is a charm! Lovely!

6. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    Well it looks like you had a good plan and set up.

Well done Glenn!

7. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

love that somewhat toothless smile ....whata cutie..;-)

8. nicely done Glenn, I just bought a used SB-800 and Impact lighting kit, am going to try to do this as well....my daughter's senior portrait in a bit.

9. Thanks Terri...

I'll try adding some contrast.

Glenn

10. Thanks Nick

11. Thanks Nute

12. Thank you Chris...

Good luck with your set-up.

Glenn

13. Hey Nick, I like this. You have decent separation between the subject and the background thanks to the positioning of your main and the overall lighting looks good. Cute little gal.

I did look at your histogram and can assure you that if you would go to levels and drag the right slider to the left a bit it would brighten up your image some and in my opinion, improve it a lot. Try it and see what you think.

14. The light in the eyes and the toothless smile make it.

Bruce

15. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Whoa...looks good to me - no it looks perfect. Great job.

16. Thanks Gordon...

I'll try moving the slider right now. Thanks for the suggestion.

Glenn

17. Thanks Bruce

18. Thanks Seneca

19. Very nicely done Glenn. Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

20. Thanks Barry

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.