1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Two Sigma Macro Zoom Lenses - a Comparison

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Harry Lavo, Jul 11, 2008.

1. The wild lilies have emerged in my garden just in time for me to compare sharpness and color of my two Sigma Macro Zoom lenses.....the older APO Super Macro and the new APO DG Macro versions.

Both are 70-300mm f/4-5.6 zooms with macro at 300mm (and in the newer version, 200mm as well). They make wonderfully versatile walk around lenses because of their dual nature, and I will be keeping one of them...just don't which one yet.

Here are the lilies. At my website (link below picture) you can see full blown up shots to pixel-peep the macro sharpness of the two lenses....and you can examine the color cast and bokeh as well if you wish. The link is below the picture.

original.
    NIKON D300    ---    300mm    f/13.0    1/20s    ISO 200

http://www.pbase.com/hflphotos/wild_lilies__two_sigma_lenses

Thanks for looking and for reading this post. Critique and comments are always welcome.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2008
  2. These are very nice shots Harry. I much prefer the color of the older lens. Both look sharp. The warm color cast of the new lens is probably good for nature but this is the cast I have seen is some Sigma lenses that I do not like especially for people.

3. I tend to agree with you Keith. Actually I think I would like something in-between the best.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.