1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Critique Two takes

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by manzico, Jul 3, 2018.

1. My wife found this old, piece of a cholla in the back yard and had it as part of the decoration in the entryway to the house. It's really small and I thought it would make a great macro subject. I ended up shooting it for a focus stack and I really like that result, but I also processed a version with a narrower depth of field. I'm curious what you folks like better.

Here's the focus stack version:
    167750621.GcI2qsPi.Relic.
    NIKON D850    105.0 mm f/2.8    105mm    f/8.0    1/60s    ISO 64

And here is the narrower depth of field version:
    167750623.vMYIz0ss.Totem.
    NIKON D850    105.0 mm f/2.8    105mm    f/8.0    1/60s    ISO 64

I'm curious which you prefer. As always, CC are greatly appreciated.

As a total side note, I've recently upgraded to a 5k iMac. Everything looks so fantastic on the monitor. The OS and web browsers are smart too so they scale images from web pages to display at the relative size they would on a normal monitor (so they don't look minuscule on the web page). I never even notice it, except when I'm posting my own photos. They look so sharp in PS and/or LR, but when I view the web versions, they just look blurry. The funny thing is I'd never notice it on a non-5K monitor. Has anyone else migrated to higher res screens and had the same experience?

Thanks,

Dave

• Like Like x 1
  2. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    I think I prefer the focus stacked version because of the added detail it shows as it wraps around the sides (more depth of field).

3. Agreed with Walter for the reason he explains. Sometimes a smaller depth of field helps convey a three-dimensional look. In this case, your lighting setup made that happen and the smaller depth of field works against it.

4. I too like the first image the best.

5. Me too. There is nothing that the blurred parts do for the image; they don't draw you eye to anything. Good work--love the contrast and the stack!

6. To my eyes the focus stacked!

7. Bart

Bart

Sep 20, 2009
    Wonderful work, Dave!
    Another vote for #1.

8. Mike Irish

Mike Irish

Jun 14, 2008
    Ireland
    Yes Dave it's No.1 for my as well.
    Mike

9. So if I read the comments correctly, there's a slight bias toward #1, the focus stacked version. Thanks for all of the comments everyone.

Dave

10. I'm a bit late for voting but my vote goes to #1 too. A very nice image Dave.

11. Binnur,

Thanks for the comment. I'm glad you liked it.

Dave

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.