Two to ID Please, And Book Recommendation

Discussion in 'Birds' started by RonS, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Hi everybody,

I want to get a little more serious shooting birds, so to help could anyone recommend a good field book? Think I caught this from meeting Jim Thiel and Louis Champan at Juanita Bay.

Also, I may request an ID on a few from time to time.

Until I get a manual, I am curious on the names of these two.

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

Of course, next is bigger glass. The above are cropped close to 1 to 1 magnification already. -LLD?-

Thanks

2. LLD never goes away, it is never long enough, LOL!!!!! considering 1 to 1 , nicely done. You guys and gals get all the nice birdies this year in full plumage. Still trying to get a male pintale in full bloom, just dont have them around here.

The first is a male Northern Shoveler in full plumage, not sure on the second one, a bit stumped??

3. Jon H

Jon H

Jun 25, 2005
    Stockton, CA
    ID for #2

I know very, VERY little about birds, but my girlfriend is currently taking a marine birds and mammals class.. SO... Your #2 bird is a Pied-billed Grebe in winter plumage. :smile:

Hope that helps!

4. Thanks for the ID Keith and Jonathan.

Now to find out a good field book.

5. As Keith and Jon say the birds are a Northern Shoveler Duck (anas clypeata) and a Pied-billed Grebe (Podilymbus podiceps). I've stuck in the Latin names as these are recognised world wide but the same bird can have quite different common names in different countries, for instance the American Kestrel used to be known in some parts of the USA as a Sparrowhawk which is quite different from the Sparrowhawk here in the UK.
    As for a book I would sugest "The Sibley Field Guide to the Birds of Western North America" by David Allen Sibley ISBN 0-7136-6658-7. If you want to know all about birds, their behavior, etc. etc. then try "The Sibley Guide to Bird Life and Behavior" edited by Elphick, Dunning and Sibley, ISBN 0-679-45123-4

6. I would second Dave's suggestion of the Sibley Guide. I have the larger single North America version which is excellent, but a bit large to take in the field. The same information is broken down into two field size books one for Eastern and Western North America, but those versions were not available when I got mine.
    One of the best features is that it shows all of the variations in sex and maturity on one page which really helps. Also there is one page that shows all of the birds in the same group (ducks, raptors, etc.) which can sometimes quickly get you to an ID.

Bob

7. Thanks again, the book is on the birthday hint list.

Now for the lens (and head, and tripod, ...).

This never ends, does it.