Critique Two treatments

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by manzico, Aug 8, 2017.

1. I grabbed some produce the other day and did some macro work. Here are two treatments of the same subject, different lighting and different processing, but otherwise the exact same composition:

#1:
    165982356.7NID3Boi.Inner_Life.

#2:
    165982362.iwWv51jZ.Under_Cover.

As always, CC are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

2. Both nice, but given the subject the first is far more enticing, while the B&W version is somewhat sinister or at least mysterious.

3. I like the subject in black and white more than color. However, I think the shadows could be opened some in the top left.

4. Another vote for the B&W. Color distracts from the shape and lighting.

5. OK, Fred and Allan do have a point, and my "sinister" and "mysterious" comment was meant to be positive and makes a better fine art piece; but as a food item, the color version resonated with me more. Glad I am not in charge :)

6. Thanks for all of the comments. I'm partial to the black and white too, but when I was shooting there was something about the soft nature of the lighting and the subject that compelled me with the colored shot as well. The B&W shot is much more of what I had envisioned when I started shooting. As for the shadows in the top left, I thought about bringing them up a bit, but it kind of flattened out the shot a little when I did it, but maybe I should give it another try.

Thanks for the comments,

Dave

7. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    First, I am NOT very good at B&W. That said, the B&W version lacks enough contrast for me. But adding contrast really changes the mood and feel of the image so it probably isn't what you want this image to represent. I simply looked a some Silver Effex Pro presets and picked this one..
    i-gFGVtWR-X2.

8. One thing I very much enjoy is replying to a critique request when I have absolutely no clue, in this case that would include food photography, black and white, macro and lighting to name just a few. That being said, it really forces me to think, so up front I'll say Thank You.

When I first saw this thread my gut reaction was that the B&W treatment was more striking, although like Allan I think the shadow is a bit too blocked upper left. The composition lends itself well to keep the eye focused on the important bits.

Then as I read all the comments I realized something that I had not considered, and that is the context of the image. If it were titled "Food" or "Vegetable" vs. "Vegetable Art Study" or "Shapes and Light" would my opinion change? In this case, yes, I think it would.

In both cases I think your use of light and composition are spot on.

Thanks for giving me something to really think about this morning, great way to start the day.

9. I actually like dark contrasty B&W treatments so there's certainly something to your edit.

Thanks,

Dave

10. I'm glad you were stimulated by the post. I really set out to take something like the second shot, but then when I was playing with the lighting I saw the softer light and it was also pleasing, but in an entirely different way. I just had to do both. They're very different.

Thanks,

Dave

11. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    maybe......this was just a quick application of a preset. I'd prefer it to be softer.....I'm not a big fan of grain, noise, whatever. Thanks for being open to different variations of your fine image!

12. Creative photography often lends itself to B&W photography and this certainly qualifies in that regard.