Critique Two versions: New and Not So New

This glass (crystal?) dinner bell is a souvenir of our wonderful trip in 2018 to South Africa. The first photo was made 19 months ago soon after we returned. The second photo was made after our 11-year-old nephew accidentally broke it yesterday.

My wife and I have lived in our house for 34 years and we've never baby-proofed it even for visiting toddlers. This is the first time anything was broken in all those years, so I'd say we've been pretty darn lucky.

Setup
The background is translucent white plexiglass lit from behind by a medium continuous-light lamp and the tabletop is glossy black opaque plexiglass. The background fills the frame no more and no less. That lighting outlined the glass in dark tones. The images were desaturated to black-and-white to eliminate the color of the prismatic reflections.

In the first photo, the clapper is taped to the highest part of the inside. Otherwise, it would have been behind the "flower" and would have ruined the composition. In the second photo, the horizon was minimized during post-processing.

April 2018
Mike 2018-04-23--002-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Broken November 29, 2019
Mike 2019-11-30--003-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Both are amazing, Mike!
I like how the clapper seems to be "broken" by the refraction of the patterns in the crystal as well.
It enhances the look of the broken object.

Thanks, Bart!

I like how the clapper seems to be "broken" by the refraction of the patterns in the crystal as well.
It enhances the look of the broken object.
I have a similar take on the clapper in the second one, which explains why, unlike in the first photo, I let it hang as it's intended: The clapper adds chaos to the image not just for the reason you mentioned but also because it makes the composition appear so busy.

By the way, I was surprised to learn that it wasn't just the visual aesthetics of the dinner bell that were affected; once it was broken, the sound of the clapper hitting the sides of the bell was more like a soft thud than the normal louder, pleasant ring. I'm confident someone can explain the reason, but I'm clueless.

Nice shots ... sparing you the conspiracy theory this time.
Wonder whether some craft person can patiently work it to a smaller sized version by trimming off the broken part.

Thank you also to Dayo and Chris!

Wonder whether some craft person can patiently work it to a smaller sized version by trimming off the broken part.
I actually never thought of that possibility and have already ordered its replacement. The replacement won't have the same sentimental value but it will surely be as effective as letting my wife know that dinner is being served.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom