TX Hill Country Fall Colors Pt 1 - Garner St Park

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by JeffKohn, Nov 10, 2005.

1. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Took a weekend trip to the hill country last weekend. Drove to Garner State park on Sat, camped overnight, and then went to Lost Maples SNA on Sunday. Here are some images from Garner SP. I actually dragged my butt out of the sleeping bag at 5:45 so I could be down by the river ready to shoot at sunrise. Unfortunately there was no sunrise to speak of, it ended up being completely overcast that morning so I had to try to avoid any sky in the pictures I took. (There are two in the gallery from a bit later that morning after the clouds had burned off).

Click an image to go to the PBase page with shooting details, and click here to see the full gallery (9 images total).

As always, feedback/suggestions/critiques are welcome.

original.

original.

original.

original.

2. Jeff
    The first one is AWESOME, and all 3 are great. sometimes overcast give me my best shooting.
    I am in Dallas on businees right now, wish I had brought my camera.
    Dave

3. I agree that the first one is a real wall-hanger. And they all are very good, especially the last one.

4. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Dave and Pa, thanks for the feedback. I think the first is probably my favorite as well.

5. GaryW

GaryW Guest

Awesome, Jeff. Just beautiful.

I agree with the others - the first one.

6. WOW that first shot with the reflections and overcast sky makes those colors just pop... Might try a slight boost in saturation in PS to make a Velvia look..

The rest of them images are great as well.. Sorry, that first one would make a nice large print...

7. The first one is superb very well done, congrats on getting up early!!!

8. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    JEff , THey all look good.Nice series.

9. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Eric, Mike, and Biggs, thanks for the kind words, I appreciate the feedback.

Yeah I did boost the colors a little bit in LAB mode but was hesitant to go too far. I may revisit this first shot since I think I probably will get a large print made. I think maybe some localized adjustments would work, since I don't really want to push the color too much in those trees on the left; it's really more the trees in the background that I think could maybe use a little boost.

Thanks again,

10. Hi Jeff, the scene you've captured in the first one is the sort I could just drink in, and it's hard to look away. The colours, and the reflection in that glassy water. I like the second as well, with the perspective on the trees in the foreground and the way they appear to be floating.

It's nice to see the colour, our trees are all but bare now and we are into the November gales and dreariness. :smile:

11. The first one made me say "Wow" out loud here in my office. (My cowrkers probably think I'm nuts!) All three are great, but that first one has 'hang it on the wall' written all over it. Nice job.

12. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Wonderful shots, Jeff! I had no idea there were such nice fall colors a few hours away from Houston! I'm so used to trees going from green directly to brown that I've forgotten how nice the fall colors can be!

13. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    puzzle, Neal, and Don thanks very much for the kind words. I appreciate the feedback.

Yeah, the hill country is a nice change from the drab colors we get here in East Texas this time of year. Definitely worth a weekend trip if you want a change of scenery.

14. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Hi Jeff,

All of these are wonderful. Thanks for posting

Regards

RFC