Ty and the Osprey

Discussion in 'Birds' started by eng45ine, May 28, 2007.

1. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I did a bit of birding this morning with Ty in west suburban Lemont, IL. This was my third visit, but Ty's first. Ty lives in the city, so he had a bit of a drive to the forest preserve. We arrived and readied our gear for our Osprey adventure. We had to hike in about 3/4 mile, but it was a beautiful morning with "sweet light" for shooting birds. We approached the roost, settled in and each of us shot over 400 images. Here's just one from this morning....shot with a D2H, 300mm f/2.8 and 1.4x tele....handheld.

2. Frank, this is beautiful.

So you two are becoming birders when there is no sport event around?

3. That is a beauty for sure Frank. Nice detail
    Lou

4. Frank, the one shot is truly a great one. Well done. I sure wish we had those blue skies here. Bill Dewey and I were all set to go shoot our osprey nest this morning but we woke up to dark skies and cold weather. So instead I get to look at your great shot and see what we missed. Thanks for rubbing it in!!!!

5. Great Detail and Color and the full wing spread shows just how majestic they are. Very Nice Frank, Be careful it is habit forming. LOL:biggrin::wink:

6. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Frank this is gorgeous!

7. Sweet shot Frank. Look forward to seeing those other 399 pics you took :eek:)

8. GastheerG

GastheerG Guest

9. Excellent!
    I have the 300 F/4 and TC1.4 on my list as soon as I can afford them.
    Great show of it.

10. very, very nice Frank!

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Beautiful shot

Hand holding that monster....my my

12. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks so much everyone, I appreciate your kind comments and support more than you could even know. I love shooting sports action, but I have really come to love birding just as much. If someone would have told me five years ago that I would be shooting images of birds, I would never have believed them. The wonderful bird and animal images that you all post within this forum has inspired me to get involved and I thoroughly enjoy the experience. Thanks to all for making the birds and animal forum the first-class site that it is.

13. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Absolutely wonderful capture Frank. That set-up is about as good as it gets for flying birds. Still hard to fathom how you could get such a sharp shot hand held though. I have trouble getting images this sharp from a tripod. :smile:

14. What a gorgeous photo! hey, if we make it to Chicago, would you take us there? I'll bring ya some Louisiana coffee! Pretty please?:wink::biggrin:

15. sweet Frank (but where's the ball)

16. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thank you Frank...actually, I had the set up on a monopod, but have to lift it all up when these birds go flying by. Ty also mentioned that his arms were a bit tired from doing the same.

17. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Sure, I'll take you there. Louisiana coffee cake? Never heard of that one, does it involve spices?

18. Great shot Frank.

Louie

19. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks Randy....I'm trying to figure out a way to shinny up the pole to the roost to get a close-up like yours.

20. Stunning shot Frank!

You're putting this 300VR of yours to great use. Handheld? This must have been a real workout. :eek: