Tyke Hockey from weekend

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by DJ Dunzie, Sep 24, 2008.

1. It's becoming a bit of a peeve of mine, that I've really started steering away from shooting action in youth sports to capturing expressions in-close instead. I'm almost worried I'm becoming a portrait shooter who goes to games instead of the studio... but at the same time it seems to be what the parents want.

Here's a series of hockey shots of the kind that tend to sell in my experience. No dramatic action, no hard skating, no big hits or big shots, no great saves... just "aawwwww, lookit that" cute kid expressions.

These were from my most recent game on the weekend. The lighting consistency was pretty ugly, and ISO3200 would get me about 1/320 at center ice, but about 1/80 in the corners, and the blue-red shift was so bad that I had to toss some ok shots because they were bright blue on one side and bright pink on the other.

Tyke hockey though is a blast. These kids think they're NHL material and some have trouble turning. Wouldn't want to do it all the time, but it is a break from the bigger kids, 'cuz dangit they're so cute LOL

At any rate, here's a bunch... ISO3200-ISO6400... D700/D300, 300 f4, or 70-200 f2.8:

(1) This lil' guy had one focussed stare
    U_D70_0459.

(2) Ya just gotta love that concentration
    View attachment 256711

(3) Hey get me on camera!
    View attachment 256712

(4) Man I can shoot faceoff stances all day... yawn...
    View attachment 256713

(5) How 'bout this? A faceoff stance... cute lil' fart though right?
    View attachment 256714

(6) You seeing a trend here? Parents love it... great expression though...
    View attachment 256715

(7) Give a monkey a camera, he can do it!
    View attachment 256716

(8) Action? Heck no, but cute eyes again
    View attachment 256717

(9) Okay, I'll mix things up a bit... the only penalty in the game, through lots of glass
    View attachment 256718

(10) This lil' guy had a whack of goals... great little player...
    View attachment 256719

2. Nice series hey when ot comes down to it we need to shoot what sells if that is your intention, as you say parents love these type of shots. Very well done

3. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Very well done Shoot what sells - and then shoot what you like

4. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    I agree with Mark! I do find myself shooting more and more sportraits, because they sell, even with little marketing. The actions shots are great for poster size fill in shots tho, and they help posters sell...

5. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

+1

6. Thanks for the comments fellas...

I like that slogan... shoot what sells.

To be fair, I find with the older kids the action will sell a lot more. With these cute lil farts it seems the parents want expressions... all good.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.