U Say U Wanna Revolution...

Discussion in 'People' started by frede, Jul 6, 2008.

1. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    I shot these today at the famous Princeton Battlefield - the exact location where on January 3, 1777 General Washington's revolutionary forces battled the British army.

2643339540_e6da2bfbcf_o.

View attachment 223088

2643339412_ea6be8a5f7_o.

2. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Superbly treated...looks so real

3. dan1son

dan1son

Sep 24, 2007
    Austin
    Very cool. That first shot is great. Nice processing on all of them.

4. Wonderful captures! Love the way you antiqued them too! WOW, I'd love to see something like that some day!

5. These are terrific, Fred! Looks like a lot of PP time involved.
    Very creative, looks authentic.

6. fred
    that is an awesome job of shooting and post-processing

thanks for sharing them with us

7. Great Shots, Fred!

Do you mind sharing your editing techniques.

8. PhotogWannabe

PhotogWannabe

Mar 19, 2007
    BC
    That sepia treatment really works wonders on these. Well done.

9. Once of the best "aged photo" treatments that I have ever seen, and the subject matter is appropriate for the effect as well. Well done.

10. Great post process work. Very good stuff.

11. Wow... I'd love to know your editing techniques as well. This series is absolutely amazing. They look so authentic.

12. I never said I wanted a revolution. :biggrin: But I'm glad others before me did.

I have a photo that was made about 50 years after the birth of photography. It has a couple obvious flaws, very much like the flaws you "put" into your images. You did a marvelous job. I am in awe.

13. Not sure what to say Fred; they look authentic... Great job!

14. Nicely done!!

Funny how those old cameras vignette.:rolleyes: 

15. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Thank you Linda!

Thanks - you should have heard that cannon - it was way LOUD!

Thank you Dianne! :smile:

Thanks Mark. Not really - I took me about 15 minutes to get the look that I wanted on the first one. After that, maybe 5 mins each work on the other two. Just a bunch of texture layers - it's a fairly straight forward really.

Thanks Greg!!

Thanks Tim! 3-4 texture layers are added to each image. I then use blend modes/layer opacity and masking to selectively erase to taste. You will find some more details here.

As far as getting the cool textures - when I'm out about with my camera I'm always shooting textures. The ones that work well for layering are the sky, dirt, sidewalks, paper, brick, stone, dirty or peeling wood etc - I try everything and anything. Also, you can bring your textures into Photoshop and tweak them. I save all my textures to a directory. They number in the 100's but I keep them med-resolution, so the don't use much drive space. I have a folder inside the main texture folder called "BEST TEXTURES" - that's where I keep my favorites.

With the link above I'm assuming a working knowledge of Photoshop Layers, Blend Modes, Masking and Opacity adjustments. If you are not familiar with these things, no problem just Google them - there's TONS of great demos/tutorials out there that are free. Have fun!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  16. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Thanks Paul!

Thanks for the nice comment Mario.

Thank you Kap.

Thank you Amber. I left some tips on the editing in my response to Tim. Hope that gets you going - I not really too complex.

Thanks Mike. These are a lot of fun to do.

Thank you Jim!

Thanks Mitch. Yea the glue on the box is starting to fail - it's making the images all funky and stuff - need to get that fixed! :biggrin:

17. Walt

Walt

Jun 12, 2008
    North Carolina
    Very well done, I am a fan of reenactments also. Thanks for sharing the pictures and tips.

walt

18. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

wow Frede ...kewel shots and pp ...looks like u did some time travel ...beam me up?

;-)))

19. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Thank you Walt.

Ha ha thanks Nute! :smile:

20. fyreflie24

fyreflie24

Jun 24, 2005
    Charlotte NC
    Somewhere I have a picture of the big tree, before it's demise, at sunrise... I took it with TriX and my Pentax K1000 when I was in high school...

You did an awesome job on these!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.