U10 soccer moments

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by jfriend, Sep 28, 2008.

1. jfriend

jfriend

Nov 11, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    I've been working on trying to capture more emotion, physical contact and expressions. I used to spend all my time trying to get some supreme action moment (like a shot on goal) thinking that was the holy grail. But the game at this age stays mostly on the ground and much of the game isn't supreme action moments, so, now I work more for these kind of shots. All shots taken with D300 and 200-400 f/4. Shutter speed nearly always in the 1/1000-1/1250 range, aperture in the f/4 to f/5.6 range and ISO as needed (rarely above 640). Lighting and backgrounds don't always cooperate, but you make due with what you have.

Let me know what you think:

[​IMG]

380153701_H5zZU-XL.jpg

380153875_cLHpv-XL.jpg

380156276_vUQhD-XL.jpg

380156748_w7vHE-XL.jpg

380159262_2jQ29-XL.jpg

380159835_okL3K-XL.jpg

380159508_wGn6n-XL.jpg

380160875_CSHuB-XL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2008
  2. nicely done John, agree w/ you on the action vs. what you've shown here.

3. jfriend

jfriend

Nov 11, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Thanks Chris. Anyone else have any thoughts?

4. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    well, emotion works for me better when I can see the eyes "up" - now that's hard to do when there is combat involved. I like these shots as they show the competition, not sure about the emotion.

5. jfriend

jfriend

Nov 11, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    "Eyes up" is a good point. Unfortunately at this age that doesn't seem to happen very often as they are usually looking down at the ball. I will look for more opportunities to capture that. I got a little bit of emotion in #4 though eyes aren't up. "Combat" is a good way to describe some of what I've been capturing.

Thanks for the thoughts.

6. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    I like 2, 6 and 9 the best. I agree that you miss a lot of shots at this age whilst they look down...

7. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

i like shots 6 and 7 most but they are all good .... that 200-400 seems to be quite the lens....

8. #1 and # 7 are my favorites of the bunch

9. jfriend

jfriend

Nov 11, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    The 200-400 takes absolutely awesome photos (if the pilot does their job). I love it's flexibility for soccer.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2008
  10. Seems to me finding emotion at this level of play will be hard to come by except in the cases of scoring or serious foul, it's just that they are trying so hard to control their bodies that some the feeling gets bottled up. The action can still be interesting as in 6 and 9, real feelings seem to come out as they grow up and have more self confidence.

11. I agree that emotion is hard to come by at this age. I get more of that during warm up where they are all excited and nervous. But effort is all there and parents and the kids alike will enjoy all of these shots eyes down or not. Nice work. I would love to try a 200-400. That flexibility would be great. Thanks for the post.

12. jfriend

jfriend

Nov 11, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    When I wrote the original post, I used the words "emotion, physical contact and expressions". Reading the responses, I don't think I really meant emotion - I wasn't expecting to capture happy or sad or anything in between. Sure, when they scored a goal or get scored on, you'd like to catch the chest bump at mid-field or the arms raised in celebration or the dejected look when they were beat for a goal, but there are truly very few of those moments in one of these games and the sad ones aren't really images that the parents want either.

I think what I'm really after is expressions (not just facial expressions, but how they express their effort with their body too) and things that show how hard they're trying and working at it - something that just brings more to the shot than just an action sequence. That's what I was trying to say. I was hoping these shots were along that line.

Thanks all for commenting and helping me to think about it some more.

13. I love #4, I see a lot determination and effort, my niece plays u-9 soccer and I find some of the things going on "off the ball" can make great shots too.