U12 International Soccer Challenge (Tokyo)

All the action shots with a 400mm F3.5, on D700. I'm a bit concerned about the sharpness: about 50% of shots are binned for focus. I'm relearning but the curve seems steep. Your comments and criticism would be welcome

Celebration shots with a 14mm, on D300.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have no clue what you mean about 'back button focus'. I see this term in a few places. What does it mean? is it to do with AF?

Anyone else think they look dark?

I think they are dark too, obviously the last one cos it is back lit, but not sure about others. Seems like only the centre of the pics are in focus.

most of the subjects are in the centre....perhaps not how I originally shot them but then most images here are a pullup from 25-50% of the frame. the crop that I decided upon then put the subject central. so I would have hoped that the subject central or otherwise was at least reasonably sharp.

just having compared these images though, with other kids' soccer shots in the Sports section, I'm not very impressed. like I say, the relearning curve is pretty steep, especially when your eyes aren't getting any younger!

in terms of this darkness, I know for a fact that I prefer darker images. perhaps that's a leftover from the days of E6 and 'chromes. I must admit that I haven't calibrated my monitor nor do I know how. although I would be willing to learn if it could be demonstrated that an improvement could be made.

The celebration shot John, is of the Barca Junior squad. I flashed it to retain the setting sun and some face detail. clearly there is a little flash falloff at the edges, but in all honesty I quite like this, in terms of not having a bright subject which draws the viewer's eye, at the edge of the frame. the shirts are dark but in this image it's all about the faces.

Last edited by a moderator:
Russ. I use a manual focus lens so I can see why I had largely ignored it.

I found that the monitor brightness was turned up all the way, so pulled it down to minimum. I guess they may be a little dark. Skin tones seem accurate though.

I checked the display profile as per that page you recommended, and found that the iMac Calibrated profile I'm using, has the gamma set to 2.2 as per the page recommendation. although the initial Contrast test chart showed that I'm not getting the left hand couple of bars. Will do some more investigations. Cheers

One of the things you did do that we always encourage (especially w/ kids) is to get low. However...on turf fields, I usually stand because you'll get distortion from the heat waves coming off the turf, especially on a sunny day. This will happen even if it's below freezing temperatures.

What are you using/doing for post-processing? During post, sharpening is always your last step, after you've cropped, depending upon the usage of the image (print, Web, etc).

Also, what lens?

not certain, but I think it's all astroturf. I just have the short Gitzo pod and plonk my backside on the sidelines. it was 35-38 degrees over the 3 days of the tournament.

post processing in Aperture.

as per the original post, the 400 3.5

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom