UCD flowers (and a spider)

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by virtuamike, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Too bad my focus was off on the spider, was tough enough just trying to hold the camera steady.

ucd01_full.

ucd02_full.

ucd03_full.

ucd04_full.

ucd05_full.

2. More great images from you.

I'd love to hear some of the details for some of these. I have yet to master the "selective DOF" macro photograph. I am using the 55 2.8 AIS, 60 micro, 105 micro, other lenses on extension tubes, etc. I just ordered up the 3.5 version of the 55 a few days ago.

I have hard time making the isolation and ultra smooth bokeh happen, as is the case in many of your images. Is it a lens thing?

3. Thx! I don't think it's completely a lens thing. Most of the time I compose my backgrounds with depth. Deep even backgrounds make for smooth bokeh. Focusing distance matters too. The closer you are to your subject, the thinner your DOF.

It should be easier to pull off with the 105. I got to try one for a week and it's a very flexible working distance. The 55's are nice but you really have to get in very close, makes positioning the camera difficult at times.

4. Were all the pictures taken hand held? I like to use a tripod as much as i can and put all my lens on manual focus for static pictures, my handheld pictures have to big a throw away rate.

5. Yup handheld. I had to go higher on the ISO to keep the shutter up which is why some of them are a little noisy. I only use the tripod if it's not windy. No point in holding the camera steady when the flower won't stay still.