ugh! "sour" hubby in family pics session

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rocketliv, Sep 10, 2008.

1. rocketliv

rocketliv Guest

So this is the email I get from a client whose session is coming up in a few weeks.

"I'll be honest, hubby isn't gonna go for the ultra cheesy pictures :) He'll be in a *sour* mood as it is because he HATES having his picture taken! I don't know if I'm being clear with what I'm wanting :) ...a mix of posed and candid, pregnancy and family."

Any recommendations on getting the sour out? How do you deal with that?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2008
  2. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Hmm, that's a tough one, Liv.

Maybe you could see if you could get the hubby's email and find out from him what he'd like to get out of the session. Rather than just taking it from her that he's going to be sour, try and see what his goal is and work with that?

3. Go with the tough guy, sour puss attitude... the wife realizes full well what he is, so work with it. I'm thinking of him in the middle of the family with arms crossed, looking tough, and the family spread around him in a semi-circle... something like that might be unique and fit him very well.

4. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    that could have been written about me

I hate staged formal photos

I am always the sour husband

5. Liv:
    Try and find out what some of hubby's interests are. Maybe NASCAR, football, hunting, etc. Then bring a prop or two with you and take a few theme oriented photos along with the others. It might just help break the ice and git him to relax and/or cooperate a little.

Good luck.
    Michael

6. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    I had a client like that...it's a no winner...some people just hate their picture taken. Just try your best...good luck.

7. ajbooker

ajbooker

Mar 17, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    Try bribing him with beer. Would work for me :biggrin:

8. PeteZ28

PeteZ28

Oct 5, 2007
    Newtown, PA
    +1 for beer. I know what side of the camera I belong on too, and it's not the shiney side!!!

9. Go for the Tony Soprano shot with tough guy sitting and his endearing family around him...

having watched my uncle for a good 20 years as a studio photog and watching him with his subjects- you can draw people out. Talk to them,get them talking and show interest.

His sessions were never "canned chatter" rather focused personal conversations to his customers and not much "down time"...

10. dking99

dking99

Aug 19, 2008
    Rockville, MD
    All these responses were exactly what I was thinking. You have to find the interests...Football season just began - does he have a fantasy football team? What is his favorite team?

As for the beer, I thought of the same thing. Problem is, bringing a 12-pack to the shoot may be a bit awkward. Maybe, to save yourself from any possible backfiring, when you ask him about what he does and what he likes, the second he mentions anything related to a bar (sports, gambling, whatever) tell him you had planned to grab a beer after the shoot and he is more than welcome to come with you....this will make him feel accepted, which will make him feel more friendly and welcome, and he will then listen to you a little more.

11. Make him laugh with something silly or stupid. Have a food fight..lol

12. rocketliv

rocketliv Guest

My husband sometimes helps in my shoots, esp. on location when I want him watching all my equipment. Maybe I should have him here so they can shoot the bull about sports and such. It may be more comfortable if he has another guy there and not just a little woman taking his pic! haha

Thank you for all the ideas! I have written them down and will work on a few!

13. The first thing you should do is explain that you don't do "cheesy pictures", ultra or otherwise.

Tell her to withhold sex for a week, and just before the shoot, offer him a good time in exchange for his cooperation :wink:.

Seriously, the trick will be to get his mind off the camera, and onto his family. How can a guy resist a genuine smile when he's squished in between his wife and kids?

65096435.gif

In cases of extreme grouches, I'll ask the wife for special help. This lad gave me nothing but phony smiles until his lady gave him a well timed pat on the fanny.

View attachment 251647

If all else fails, take him to the side and ask him to make a small personal sacrifice for the sake of his bride. The photos are for her, not him.