Uh, how about some GBH's....;-)

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Flew, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Sorry, but GBH's and Cormorants are all I've got to shoot right now. Got these guys last weekend with the D2H / 300 2.8 + 1.7 TC. These were taken while the early sun was still behind the dam, so most of the lighting came from the SB-800. Sorry if they are a little on the dark side, but, well, they were in the dark. :smile:

Just to prove to Ben that our birdies do occasionally eat smaller fish. :wink:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And 'Da Flip':
    [​IMG]

And another example of how humans and birdies don't mix well: :frown:
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking.

2. One of the best RR flips I have seen. Way to go Frank. You have this bird photography down to a science.

3. Great series!
    It is too bad a belly full of fish hooks can spoil anyone’s day :frown:
    I've seen what lost or discarded fishing line and lures can do to wildlife, shorebirds and gulls are really hit hard :frown:
    The circle of predator, pray is one thing killing animals with our garbage is totally another :mad:

Rich

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks Gordon. I put it down to persistence, and a true love for this area of photography. :wink:

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Rich,

I couldn't agree with you more. I actually threw rocks at this guy, trying to get him to drop the fish. He was turned away from me though, so I don't know if he swallowed it or not. :frown:

6. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Your killing me here Frank :biggrin:

I can't afford a f2.8 right now or a 1.7 but your work makes it hard to say no.

Of course then I have to get some talent, and yours is priceless !!

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Ben, I love the 2.8, but now I'm lusting for the 200-400VR. Not that I think that I could get sharper images, because the 300 2.8 is about as good as it gets, but for the adjustability as the birds fly in and out. Since I can't possibly afford one any time soon, I'm going to do what Greg has, and have my 300 on one D2H (probably with the 1.4 TC), and the 70-200VR with the other (1.7) TC on the other H. Not quite as good as having a 200-400VR, but a whole lot cheaper. :rolleyes:

As for comparing my shots with yours, you are very kind, but your shots are every bit as good. Thanks for the kind words though. :wink:

8. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Amazing that it has the aim to stab such a small fish! So, what are the settings on your SB? I assume you got your Beemer on?

9. Frank, I really want to go to your place to shoot your pet bird if the gas is not so expensive.

You have posted several amazing series recently. The last picture is my all-time favorite.

10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Hey 3, come on over any time. If you wait a month or so, there will be an Eagle pair nesting right in the same area. I'm hoping to get some good ones at a decent ISO this year. Seems like every time they landed on our version of 'the tree' last year, it was around dusk, and the ISO had to be 400 - 500 just to get any kind of shutter speed.

11. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Steve,

I didn't have the beemer on for these shots because they were so danged close. I responded to a question you had in another thread few days ago about using the BB with the SB. If you didn't see it, I'll try to find it and send you a PM with the particulars.

12. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Frank, don't make any excuses for these pix - they are fabulous. Making a RR flip with that small a fish shows great beak-eye coordination. :wink: I've got a proposition for you. I'll trade every bird up here for your GBHs and cormorants. Deal? :rolleyes:

Gordon

13. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    Frank,

It's very enjoyable to watch a pro at work.

14. These are really well done Frank! Hated to see the hook, but that is reality.
    Dave

15. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Gordon, I'll swap lenses, but you can't have my birds. :tongue:

Scott, Not a pro, just a very persistent amateur, but thanks for the compliment. :wink:

Dave, The hook made me sick. :mad:

16. Frank you have done another great job with the GBH's. I always enjoy viewing your work.

17. Frank, I'm not a big fan of flash-lit shots but you've managed to do very well with these! I got a kick out of your "flip" shot. Did you notice the expression on the fish's face? Looks kinda funny like "Oh, no!"

18. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks guys. :smile:

Kev,

Yeah, I noticed. I just wish that I had gotten a little more flash on Mr. Fish. :rolleyes:

As to shooting with flash, I agree, but my take is that it is better to shoot with flash than not to shoot at all. :biggrin:

19. Frank an amazing series, as usual. You certainly get the best out of your setup.

louie

20. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks Louis. :smile: