Uh oh Lens question

Hey everyone. I just received my used Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 this evening. The seller said the glass was excellent but when i held it in the light it has maybe 5 or 6 very small marks on the front element... i wouldn't call them nicks but like tiny rub marks on the coating maybe??

Anyway what do you all think I should do? Will it affect the images much? I'm worried it might cause some flaring. I guess i will have to test it in the day light tomorrow.

Should i be worried?

here are some pics they look fine to me, but like i said i am worried more about sunny day pics

p614624773-5.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

p637369412-5.jpg

p811531335-5.jpg

p855219227-5.jpg

Hey everyone. I just received my used Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 this evening. The seller said the glass was excellent but when i held it in the light it has maybe 5 or 6 very small marks on the front element... i wouldn't call them nicks but like tiny rub marks on the coating maybe??

Anyway what do you all think I should do? Will it affect the images much? I'm worried it might cause some flaring. I guess i will have to test it in the day light tomorrow.

Should i be worried?
Nice looking shots.

Does it look like it can be cleaned? If so, I would buy 'Formula MC' and 'Pec-Pads' and go to work.

Or firstly, a little moist breath air, and a 3M micro fiber cleaning cloth from the optical department at Walmart.

mike

Nice looking shots.

Does it look like it can be cleaned? If so, I would buy 'Formula MC' and 'Pec-Pads' and go to work.

Or firstly, a little moist breath air, and a 3M micro fiber cleaning cloth from the optical department at Walmart.

mike
i have a micro fiber cleaning cloth and tried that but this is stuck on there.. never used Formula MC those. It could actually be from improper cleaning sort f looks like little rubs on the coating of the lens or something.

I'm a freak about my lenses and keep them spotless so it was pretty easy for me to notice.

October 2, 2008

Be very careful cleaning your lens. According to a posting, that I read on Nikon's website, human breath is harmful to lens coatings because it contains acids that are harmful to lens coatings.

While, I realize that this is a Tamron lens, the lens coatings are probably very similiar so I would recommend using a very high quality lens cleaner, a micro-fiber cloth, lensbrush, and lens tissue, and a lens pen, to remove those marks. Clean the lens carefully. If the lens is new, just take it back and get another one. If I find the address for that Nikon posting that warns about not using breath to clean a lens I will post it for you. Good Luck, I hope that this information helps you.

Steve Zalewski
Syracuse, NY

Good Luck

October 2, 2008

Be very careful cleaning your lens. According to a posting, that I read on Nikon's website, human breath is harmful to lens coatings because it contains acids that are harmful to lens coatings.

While, I realize that this is a Tamron lens, the lens coatings are probably very similiar so I would recommend using a very high quality lens cleaner, a micro-fiber cloth, lensbrush, and lens tissue, and a lens pen, to remove those marks. Clean the lens carefully. If the lens is new, just take it back and get another one. If I find the address for that Nikon posting that warns about not using breath to clean a lens I will post it for you. Good Luck, I hope that this information helps you.

Steve Zalewski
Syracuse, NY

Good Luck

Hi Steve,

Its a used lens and I tried using a Nikon Lens pen to clean the marks off but it did not work. I did not use my breath. I had a lot of garlic for dinner and frankly the glass would probably melt :biggrin:

I'll shoot some outdoor stuff this weekend and post my results. Hopefully everything will be fine.

I don't see any issues in your photos. I have lenses from 20+ years ago that have more than a few marks on the front element that do not show on screen or on prints (tested up to 16x20). The shots look sharp and I feel as though you will not have much of an issue with the specs.

The tiny marks as you describe them will not affect your images.
If really small and only visible under scrutiny, I would forget about it.

I am very careful with my glass also and would never cause any marks. That said, if I buy a used lens and there is a tiny mark visible (as described above), I would not make a case out of it.
Same goes for minor dust. I don't even check for that - it is almost a given that there will be some in a used lens (often in a new one as well). No big deal.

It'll be ok.

I had to prove to one of my buddies that makes on the front element do nothing for the most part to effect IQ. I put a zipped up zip-tie in front of the camera and focused past it. Pulled the image up on the screen and bam, non existent. Even looked identical to the shot w/o the zip tie.

N

Nuteshack

i've seen some really naughty front elements and never a prob with IQ ..now the rear element, that's a different story.

and as far as fogging the lens with your breath. don't believe everything u read (acid from your breath? gime a break, lol).

;-)))

to stop yourself worrying.

Get a post it note, and tear a pea sized piece from the sticky bit, and stick it on the front element.

You won't be able to see it in the VF or in the images.

It's that close to the lens it's well well well out of focus. So, to have an affect on image quality, there must be some serious damage.

I am inclined to agree with Nute! If the acid from your occasional breath could ruin lens coating, I'd hate to think what smog does to it...

K

Kqw1208

Hey...hey..I know of some people that their breath is considered a lethal weapon....:biggrin:

Interesting thread. I bought my 17-50 Tammy new two years ago, I thought I had been careful with it but noticed some very small spots on the front lens that cleaning doesn't remove. Doesn't seem to hurt image quality so I ain't worried about it but a little curious.

Latest threads

Top Bottom