UK Trip (London & Wales)

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by jaleel, Apr 5, 2007.

1. jaleel

jaleel

Apr 3, 2007
    Toronto, Canada
    My wife and I recently took a trip to the UK. We stayed in Wales with her aunt and uncle for a few days and then finished off the trip in London. I loved the trip because we got to enjoy some peace and relaxation in Wales while seeing all the sights and experiencing the history in busy London. We stayed in the Kensington area for a real good price (about $400 CAD for 3 nights in a 3 star hotel). The hotel was within walking distance to a bunch of museums and Kensington Palace.

I brought my D200 along with my Tokina 12-24mm and Nikon 18-200mm lenses.

Comments/C&C welcome.

Btw this is my first real post on the cafe so pls be nice :smile: hehe

Cardiff Bay, wales
    438214163_1bd6d1615d.
    large version

Cardiff Castle, Wales
    Taken from within the inner bunker. Steep Steps!
    440677561_def60eafe5.
    larger version

Natural History Museum, London
    This is a huge science museum just around the corner from our hotel in Kensington. There were a lot of exhibits and admission was free.
    444409235_e90905efd7.
    larger version

Victoria and Albert Museum, London
    Another fantastic museum right beside the Natural History Museum.. and again all exhibits were free!
    444409377_10ce39afcc.
    larger version

Notting Hill, London
    The antique market was closed but the area was lively for a Sunday afternoon. These colourful apartments are worth more than a million pounds :eek:
    445642369_427904e43b.
    larger version

445638844_6538b0880b.
    larger version

Trafalgar Square, London

The National Gallery. What a great museum! You can see paintings from Raphael, Van Gogh and other famous artists from different eras here. Once again admission was free.
    447149901_d6bc8bd310.
    larger version

One of the humungous lion statues in the square.
    447151241_97d56a2a73.
    larger version

River Thames
    This was taken from a bridge that crossed the Thames.
    Big Ben and the Parliament are in the distant right. On the left is the Millenium Wheel aka the London Eye.
    447144216_284bc2b6db.
    larger version

I still have to sift through about another 100 pics but these were some of the better ones.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2007
  2. These colourful apartments are worth more than a million pounds

The whole place or each seperate appartment? thats over 2.2 Million $ canadian!!

3. These all look like excellent shots, but it is hard to tell at the size posted. Could you post larger versions? From my Smugmug site I always post the "large" version.

Thanks for the trip!

4. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    Nice set, I really like the lion Statue shot.

Alittle larger would be nice , Old eyes ya know.

5. jaleel

jaleel

Apr 3, 2007
    Toronto, Canada
    thanks for the input.. i've added links to larger versions of the pics

Phyer Phyter - yes.. each of those 2 floor apartments above the antique stores cost over 2 million CAD! talk about paying based on the neighbourhood.. i bet houses doubled in value after the movie was released :biggrin:

6. That would be EACH! House prices in the UK are a joke at the moment - The AVERAGE starting price is now more that £200,000!

7. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Some great shots here!

House prices here in Blighty are just mad, especially in the cities. But then I guess that is true of any major city?

8. jaleel

jaleel

Apr 3, 2007
    Toronto, Canada
    yeah i thought the housing prices in Toronto were high.. the ave 1 bedroom + den condo/apt here is around $220,000 CAD

9. I bought my house 2 years ago and it has almost doubled in price. My wifes best friend was renting a 1/2 of a duplex that the land lord decided to sell. He is asking 350K per side and being rental units they are showing a fair amount of wear and tear. Now Nathalie had to find another place and rents are unimaginable and her being a single mom with 2 kids buying is not even close to being an option. Her rent is now more than twice what I pay for my mortgage. I dont know how families starting out or people like Nathalie can make it. The incomes certainly havent gone up anywhere near what property has.

SCroll Through this realestate link and see what properties in this area are going for and keep in mind that prices 2-3 years ago were about 1/2 what they are now. On the link, near the top, you can select newest listing displayed first or from lowest price to highest and so on.

10. krispee

krispee

Apr 10, 2007
    UK
    nice shots, the lion is my fav, nicely caught that one.....but i like the vista of the 'eye' at the bottom as well....the Nat Gal is just awesome!
    don`t mention house prices to me lol i`m a brit and i would love to actually get on the property ladder if only i could....but that`s downright impossible at the moment......

kris

11. blessedLens

blessedLens

Apr 20, 2007
    Maryland
    these are very nice photos.