Ukrainian Easter Eggs

Discussion in 'Miscellany' started by Bohdan, Apr 1, 2007.

1. Ukrainian Easter egg writing is an ancient art that goes back to pagan times.
    An art form that my wife Hanusia has been passionate about since she was a little girl and learned at her mother's knees on how to write "pysanky"
    It takes a very steady hand and an extremely fine eye as well as the ability to think in the Batik style. ie. you start with a white egg and with a fine pointed stylus dipped in wax you cover the white egg with a design you wish to come out as white in the end. The egg is then dipped in yellow dye...and then you write with the melted wax stylus - what you wish to come out as yellow colour and so on....until the last colour - black. The wax is then melted off in the oven and can be polished for display.
    Here are some this year's writings.
    Some of you have seen similar postings that I have submitted in years past.
    Easter is coming and the gift of a pysanka is a wish for fertility, prosperity and new life renewing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lord of the Rings theme. Anyone read Elvish?
    [​IMG]

Close up of some of the detail
    [​IMG]

Tree of life theme:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope you like looking at them as much as my wife enjoys making them!

2. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

Nice series. Great color and contrast.

Question: Are these blown eggs? Or aere they intended to be cracked, peeled and eaten?

3. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

It says 'You shall not Pass-over' ?

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I remember these from last year.
    These are very beautiful

5. Bob -

These are both exquisitely crafted and beautifully photographed.

My sister is in the Russian Orthodox church, and I know that she will love and appreciate these even more than me!

Well done by the both of you.

Thanks,

Eric

6. No they are not intended to be eaten. Some people blow out the insides. My wife prefers to leave them natural. Eventually they dry out inside. They are meant to be gifts as a token of good fortune, fertility, and good health.

Oh right now I see it...

Hi Gale...these are this year's crop. Nush has been busy for a few weeks now!
    Thanks very much for your kind words Eric...I will convey them to my wife and extend her thanks as well.

7. The detail is unbelievable and very beautiful.

8. Thanks very much...my wife has a very good eye and patience for detail.

9. Just beautiful Bob. I remember the ones she did last year and was hoping you'd favor us with this year's. Thanks for sharing them.
    BTW, I'm still enjoying the 180mm you sold me. Great lens.

10. Thanks for the kind words Brian. I am glad you are enjoying the 180. I'm always fearful when I infrequently sell some of my camera equipment that the buyer may not be satisfied with the purchase. Glad to get some good feedback.

Thanks again

11. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    I too remember your post from last year and was hoping for a repeat this year. Thanks for sharing these with us. I think my favourite of this series is the "tree of life". All are gorgeous, but that one reallly strikes my fancy.

Please give my regards and admiration to your wife (and to you for your wonderful captures).

12. Wow, these are just amazing@!! Such beauty and detail, I can not even begin to imagine how much hard work this is. Your wife is very talented!!

Thank you for sharing the pictures, and the details of the process. :smile:

13. Absolutely stunning! I didn't get to see last year's eggs, but if they're anything like these, they had to be amazing too! What a precious form of art! WOW!

14. Thanks Leigh. I will pass on your regards to Nush. Hope everyone had a good time at the gettogether

Thanks very much for your comments. I does take a lot of patience. But my wife reallly does look at it as being therapeutic and honestly looks forward to writing pysanky.