Ultimate camoflage

Discussion in 'Birds' started by SteveK, Apr 9, 2007.

1. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    Now that I got your attention, and since so many people here have expressed their great love of snakes, I thought you'd enjoy seeing how well some of them are perfectly camoflaged in their environment. This is a hog-nosed viper (yes poisonous) from Costa Rica. Someone else found this snake and showed it to me. And yes, I was in sandals when I photographed this snake. Shot with Fuji Velvia, 200mm macro, and fill flash.

[​IMG]

2. Lowolf

Lowolf

Jan 26, 2006
    Oregon
    wow that a good size snake
    great capture

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    yikesssss

4. OOFF, pretty crazy Steve! Look how he is poised to strike, wow!
    Indeed, the camouflage is striking as well - I can imagine that you could wander pretty close to him before seeing what is there - brrrr...

5. snakeman

snakeman

Feb 26, 2006
    UK
    lovely snake...

6. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Steve, How did you actually get that shot. Seems you were far above him?
    Was he down in a hole?

It took me awhile to figure out what the picture was..Amazing photo and thanks!

Gaye

7. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    Actually, it's not that large, maybe 2 feet long.

It is an ambush predator, like many snakes, it simply sits and waits for food to come to it. You'll often find snakes below palm trees, or other fruiting trees where dropped fruit or seeds attract many small mammals.

Thanks, I thought it was a beautiful animal, and was very happy to be able to photograph it.

8. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    Gaye, the snake was not disturbed by my presence. I set up a tripod almost directly above it, and shot the photos. I liked the situation, so typically, I shot too many images of it.....I think I shot 3 rolls of film on that snake. We found a coral snake nearby, but it wouldn't cooperate; it just wanted to hide under the leaves.

9. Numael

Numael

May 16, 2006
    Destin, FL
    WoW!!! Nice shot!!!! Thanks for sharing!! What was the fill flash?? a ring/twin?

10. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    A Nikon SB-24

11. MJAM

MJAM

Feb 20, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Fortuitous that you had the long macro with you! Mike