Ultimate camoflage

Now that I got your attention, and since so many people here have expressed their great love of snakes, I thought you'd enjoy seeing how well some of them are perfectly camoflaged in their environment. This is a hog-nosed viper (yes poisonous) from Costa Rica. Someone else found this snake and showed it to me. And yes, I was in sandals when I photographed this snake. Shot with Fuji Velvia, 200mm macro, and fill flash.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

OOFF, pretty crazy Steve! Look how he is poised to strike, wow!
Indeed, the camouflage is striking as well - I can imagine that you could wander pretty close to him before seeing what is there - brrrr...

Steve, How did you actually get that shot. Seems you were far above him?
Was he down in a hole?

It took me awhile to figure out what the picture was..Amazing photo and thanks!

Gaye

wow that a good size snake
great capture
Actually, it's not that large, maybe 2 feet long.

OOFF, pretty crazy Steve! Look how he is poised to strike, wow!
Indeed, the camouflage is striking as well - I can imagine that you could wander pretty close to him before seeing what is there - brrrr...
It is an ambush predator, like many snakes, it simply sits and waits for food to come to it. You'll often find snakes below palm trees, or other fruiting trees where dropped fruit or seeds attract many small mammals.

lovely snake...
Thanks, I thought it was a beautiful animal, and was very happy to be able to photograph it.

Steve, How did you actually get that shot. Seems you were far above him?
Was he down in a hole?

It took me awhile to figure out what the picture was..Amazing photo and thanks!

Gaye
Gaye, the snake was not disturbed by my presence. I set up a tripod almost directly above it, and shot the photos. I liked the situation, so typically, I shot too many images of it.....I think I shot 3 rolls of film on that snake. We found a coral snake nearby, but it wouldn't cooperate; it just wanted to hide under the leaves.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom