Shootout Ultimate X-Mas Bokeh Shootout (50 f/1.4,85 f/1.4,105VR,24-70,70-200VRI)

Wanted to conduct a lil test of my own on the same image (the top part of my xmas tree.) I tried to be as controlled as possible in this experiment. So I set the camera on the tripod then each lens was focused manually at their respective MFD. The camera position did not change at all and each lens was at it's maximum aperture as noted in each image. The lenses used were 1. 50mm f/1.4 AIS. 2. 85 f/1.4 3. 24-70 4. 105VR 5. 70-200 VRI. Again all images are SOOC.

Camera settings were:
-Manual mode
-1/25 exposure
-Spot Meter
-ISO 200
-'Standard' Picture Setting
-Aperture varied from each lens.

1. First up the 50mm f/1.4 Manual @ f/1.4
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Next the lengendary cream machine 85mm f/1.4 @ f/1.4

3. Here is the 105mm VR Micro @f/3.0 (could of got f/2.8 but had to back up too much)

4. Now the first zoom: 24-70 @ 24mm f/2.8. Pic cropped to compare same perspective

5. Same lens 24-70 @ 70mm f/2.8 no crop.

6. Last lens the 70-200 VRI @ 70mm f/2.8. no crop.

7. 70-200 VRI @ 200mm f/2.8. No Crop

Dom

excellent test thanks for sharing! One question, did you take any images with the lenses closed down a stop or two? I wanted to see how well the lenses retained the circular points of light when closed down. (technically at wide open apertures all lenses produce circular bokeh)

For example here is the 50mm F/1.4 AI-S, it produces circular bokeh wide open but closed down one F/stop the octagons appear

Here is another shot with the 105mm F/2.0 DC @ F/4.0 this lens does a great job of holding circular shape up to F/5.6

Dom

excellent test thanks for sharing! One question, did you take any images with the lenses closed down a stop or two? I wanted to see how well the lenses retained the circular points of light when closed down. (technically at wide open apertures all lenses produce circular bokeh)
Good point. But I think all of the lenses I used have rounded aperture blades except the 50 f/1.4. I am about to head out now so I will check the fo f/1.4 at say f/2.8 later.
seems like the cream machine still retains the title :smile:
Yes it does!

My contribution using 70-200 VR:

W

Wileec

I find the series of interest, except that it seems these were blinking lights, so each shot is different in it's composition, so it's hard to see how each lens would render the same exact scene. Different lights means different distances, etc. Just thinking out loud.

I find the series of interest, except that it seems these were blinking lights, so each shot is different in it's composition, so it's hard to see how each lens would render the same exact scene. Different lights means different distances, etc. Just thinking out loud.
Good observation. But the distance is the same as I took a shot of a very specific part of the tree. Were talking about less than half an inch between each light. I was about 9 feet from the tree

85 FTW!!

what surprised me was how well the 24-70 @ 70 looked, at least with my quick observation. incredible zoom lens...cannot wait to get my hands on one...

M

Michael Mohrmann

what surprised me was how well the 24-70 @ 70 looked, at least with my quick observation. incredible zoom lens...cannot wait to get my hands on one...
Yeah, the 24-70 @ 70mm looked quite good. I am thinking there's probably too much DOF at 24mm, even at f/2.8.

A little disappointed in the 105 VR. It's on my list to consider, but this wasn't a particularly good showing. The colors and sharpness seem good, but the shapes of the lights aren't as nice as some of the other lenses.

Can someone explain to me why the 85 looks best here? Is it because the light points are so round?
its very subjective. to me, it looks the best since not only are the points round, but they have little outlining (if at all) with very smooth transitions. it looks like we just applied a crap load of gaussian blur to the whole image. there doesnt seem to be anything harsh about it.

with that said, i think that all of these lenses performed very well, but the 85 sticks out to me as being the smoothest. all hail the cream machine...

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom