Critique Umbrellas at the Beach

I remember finding these umbrellas being set up on the beach. It was challenging to shoot, while they were setting up.
I went back the next day- and they were gone. Bummer. You can't go back.
Reminds me of better times.
gary

beach08862_DxO.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

beach09018_DxO.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the imbalance of the first one that, ironically, provides an odd sort of balance. The lone sandal in the second photo really makes that one, as I so often wonder how certain situations such as that one come to be. The third one is nice for those who like me enjoy the personification of inanimate objects; I see that group of umbrellas as the committee meeting and we know which umbrella is chairing the meeting or at least is the only that is speaking at the moment. Well done on all three!

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
See, I like three best followed by one. Which shows from the comments above all three are rather nice and different!

This is how I learn. I find it fascinating how we look at art, and what we like/don't like. And how all our opinions vary.
I think it can be important for a photographer to understand that their favorite image may not be as well received as he expected- yet other images are more enjoyed.
This is a problem for me when, for example I come back from a shoot with 500 images. I will pick out my 5 favorites, but then tomorrow my favorites will be different. And any audience I have may have really liked an image I never processed- as it did not strike my own fancy.
Don't even ask about juried competitions. Those are nuts!
I feel, for the most part, we have an "educated" audience here. They have experienced great art and trash. They have read and practiced the "techniques and rules" , yet know when to break them. I enjoy and learn seeing their work, and enjoy their comments about mine.
As noted in another thread, that is one of the things that makes this place great!
Thanks again
gary

Which is your favorite, Gary?
A lot of my images are like my children- I don't really have a favorite.
Right now, I like the first one, except for the orange cones. I could probably remove them in post- but haven't. There are times I really like the 3rd one as well.
When I shot these 5years ago I had them ranked - and I must have liked the 2nd one best then.
Jay Maisel used to tell me, if I am not my own best critic- I will be my own worst enemy. I am not a very good self critic.
Short answer- today my favorite would be the first one.
gary

Real Name
Ken St John
Personally, I really like all three. I like the simplicity and lack of people in each one. If I were picking only one to print ... it would probably be number 1. If it were me, I'd probably also work the sky a bit and see if I could make it a bit more dramatic. Maybe even try a B&W conversion as well.

Ken

Thanks again for the comments. I enjoy hearing how people look at images.
Most of my work is black and white- probably because I am an old fart and grew up in a bw darkroom.
Actually, I hope it is because I only use color when I think color is part of the image. If color is not necessary- it can detract.
Here I think the color is important.
But, just for fun clicked on a bw preset I use and increased contrast some in the sky.
I still like the color version better- thoughts?
Thanks
gary

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
That B&W is very nice also. I think I like it best.............. It simplifies all the shades of blue and blue green in the image. Just my thoughts.....

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom