(Un)Known Wild Flowers... Thanks Harry

It seems that I have the same query with Virginia... :?

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 6669

Hi Panos!

Nice pic.

For a biologist this is not so "unknown", a specialized botanist might even tell the species.

All I can contribute is that this plant belongs to the genus Ornithogalum. There are countless species all over the world, many of them difficult to identify. One of the more wide-spread English common names is "Star-of-Bethlehem", in German language we simply call it "Milk-Star" (literal translation).

Don't try to taste it, parts of the plant are quite poisonous.

Cheers

Thanks all for your kind words, and thanks Harry for the "classroom" :D
It is really hard for me to ID all kinds of plants and flowers, OK and birds... 8)

They are

as Harry S. says, Orthnithogalum umbellatum. The Star of Bethlehem. Europe has three species of Orthnithogalum, and this is the most common.
You are on a island that is famed for its flora, even more so than Crete, and that is spectacular to put it mildly. Go into the Troodos Mountains and see just what I mean.

BW. Bob F.

The joys of "Orthnithogalum Unbellatum"!

Panos, these flowers we both now know, are called "orthnithogalum umbellatum" or "Star of Bethlehem". Thank you Harry S! This year's crop, there are a lot of them here in my yard here in Calofornia, is stellar!

Enjoyed your photos!

Virginia
aka beaucamera!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom