Unaware

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by the_traveler, Aug 7, 2007.

1. I have been here on and off for a few months and have decided to be more active and leave my original forum for several reasons:

1) the number of absolute total beginners is relatively small and thus there are few if any very basic queries.
    2) when people do ask questions, it is clear that they have done some work and are not expecting to be spoon-fed everything, and most importantly,
    3) the level of pictures and manners is much higher than any of the other forums I've visited

That all being said, I am a little surprised at the very low incidence of any kind of constructive criticism, even in the occasional posting where the picture could benefit from issues being raised. Is this a conscious decision on the part of the mods and have I missed this in the instructions somewhere?

2. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Lew :

There is an icon to request C&C, and it's used from time to time by various people. The numbers of people who request it isn't high right now, but that ebbs and flows over time according to various indeterminate factors.

I know that in my case, I try to offer fairly reasoned and considered C&C, but I don't have the time available for doing this every day. I suspect that this is true of some others.

That said, post some shots with the C&C icon [​IMG] attached to gather attention and then we'll have a constructive go at what you offer !

John P.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  3. Look for example, at BostonRott's post "Charles River--critiques welcomed" in the landscapes section. I think there was hard hitting critique and discussion, and no one got hurt but we all had our say and learned from each other.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  4. Thanks, I never connected the icon with any different kinds of responses (and I thought myself to be observant).

Let me repeat again that the level of the average post here is wonderful and it's nice to be amongst people who act maturely.

5. Thanks Lew. As you may have seen civility and respect are our watchwords. We try to respond quickly whenever there's a problem and we do not tolerate hostility and trolling.

Thanks again, Rich

6. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    [​IMG]

"What is a troll?

The traditional definition of a troll refers to a member of a community or usenet group who makes posts deliberately designed to attract responses of outrage or indignation. It is the troll's intent to "hook" unsuspecting members into responding, (hence the term "trolling"), thus providing him/her self with the satisfaction of knowing they have impact on others.

A distinction must be made between true trolls, newbies who are undergoing growing pains as they attempt to adjust to community standards, and regular community members who simply have strong but otherwise harmless, dissenting opinions. Trolls should be removed, newcomers assisted, and contributing community members given at least a modicum of respectful distance."

source: http://communitiesonline.homestead.com/dealingwithtrolls.html

Couldn't help myselef :biggrin:

7. Well said and thanks for sharing.....I'll be sure in make the distinction with my new posts:biggrin:

8. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Oh don't worry about it, there's a clear distinction between trolls and beginners.

9. Zachs

Zachs

Feb 25, 2006
    NC
    Hey traveler,
    This place is a great way to get advice on lenses and a really nice general discussion place as well. You'll find that there are tons of pros as well as total amatures that just want to learn. No matter what, everyone stays relatively nice around here.