Unbelieveable number of GBH's today

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Greg, May 22, 2005.

1. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    I met Frank below Guntersville dam here in North Alabama this morning about 7:00. the morning started out fairly foggy but luckily it burned off before most of the GBH activity began.

When we first got there, there must have been 50 turkey vultures and 20 Herons until we spooked them. Didn't really matter as they were waiting for the power plant to start the water turbines and they didn't go far.. Seems the power plant turbines kills or stuns some of the fish making for easy pickings.

This shot is just a warm up until I can process more as they gave us plenty of opportunities both in flight and on the ground in typical GBH poses. there were many shots for both of us that were to close for the 300mm. once you got in place and moved minimally they tend to return to the same rocks they were on before we arrived.

Anyway, a GREAT morning with good company!

[​IMG]

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    uuuhhhh huuuhhhh

LOOKS LIKE BUZZARDS TO ME !!!!!!!!

SEE YOU CAUGHT THE VERY RARE BIGGGG BUZZARD AS WELL :>)))))))))

3. Those GBH are sure fun to watch! They're very common too, to my surprise. I'm not a bird shooter but they are so appealing they're almost making me a bird addict... Do you have some close shots?

4. interestingly the one on the far left is the same color as the ones on the right, hmmmn a new camoflage ploy. Thanks fot the tip!
    Post more, Greg.

5. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    Hey Greg,
    Looks like you had a good trip. I look forward to seeing the rest of the pics. Maybe I can make the next outing.