Unboxing videos - why?!?!

Why are there so many "unboxing videos" on youtube? I'm browsing and searching for simple reviews - lenses, camera bags, general stuff...etc. And it seems like everyone who purchases a product has to put an "unboxing video" out there. Do people think that they're honestly going to get something different from another person even though it's the same product and was purchased from the same store?

Sorry for my rant of the day :biggrin:

Glad it is just not me that finds this a pointless waste of time and bandwidth.

Why dont they just open the box and start reading the manual out loud page by page - now that would be interesting :wink::biggrin:

I should make a video poking fun at unboxing videos. Unbox a product, show the product to the viewers...and uh, oh wait for it...pull out one of my son's fake reptile toys. I bet they didn't have that come w/ their product...lol. Just start pulling random stuff out

i should make a video poking fun at unboxing videos. Unbox a product, show the product to the viewers...and uh, oh wait for it...pull out one of my son's fake reptile toys. I bet they didn't have that come w/ their product...lol. Just start pulling random stuff out

do it.

The same reason people tweet when they go to the bathroom, or eat a PB&J sandwich in the shower.

For me the bigger "Why" is ...

Why does anybody bother to watch/listen/read any of this crap anyway? Total waste of bandwidth.

And yes, I am an old curmudgeon ..... :wink::wink::biggrin:

Some do it for the attention, some for money...

If you allow YouTube (Google) to put adds on your video you can make a little cash
for every view... Some throw all kinds of junk up hoping to make some money...

"Unboxing Video's" are actually some of the better stuff... :rolleyes:

And yes, I am an old curmudgeon ..... :wink::wink::biggrin:

Repeat after me:

"I am a Curmudgeon but I can change,

if I have to,

I guess...?"

:wink: :tongue: :biggrin:

It has to do with the look at me era we are in. This question could actually be asked about a lot of video's on youtube. I wonder if any of them made the next video that most of us want on the acutal product?

I will watch an unboxing video and fast forward to the parts I want to see if it's for something I want to see the looks of etc. In some ways that helps having many videos out there since some people posting shouldn't even post to begin with since their video is so bad.

Are you complaining that there are unboxing videos or that there are so many of them?

When the D800 came out I knew it would be a while before I could finish saving enough to buy it. In the meantime I enjoyed watching a few unboxing videos in anticipation. I've just done the same with the new mp3 player I will be ordering today as I wanted to see what was included and how big the product was. Most of the 'reviews' on YouTube are subjective nonsense and are more often about the ego of the reviewer than the product itself whereas the best unboxing videos are simple - this is what you will be getting if you buy this product, this is how it is packaged if you will be buying it online and are wondering whether to get it delivered to your home or work address, this is how big the box is, this is how comprehensive the manual is, these are the cables/headphones/extras included with the product etc etc. Very useful.

I should make a video poking fun at unboxing videos. Unbox a product, show the product to the viewers...and uh, oh wait for it...pull out one of my son's fake reptile toys. I bet they didn't have that come w/ their product...lol. Just start pulling random stuff out

Forget the fake reptile toy, put a live snake in one and it would be funnier. :biggrin:

I'll admit I've watched unboxing video's many times... Product images are fine but they
don't give you any visual idea to the actual size of a product... When you see a camera
or lens in someones hands it gives a better sense of scale... And also, as Counter mentioned,
let's you "see" what comes with the item and how it's boxed/packaged...

I would guess it is because they are excited about their new gear? Probably the same reason people list their gear in the signature on these forum posts. I've done neither so I'm just guessing.

Why do people train for and run marathons? Do they think they can run them faster than others? Because except for a few talented and well trained runners, they can't. So why do they do it?

I would guess it is because they are excited about their new gear? Probably the same reason people list their gear in the signature on these forum posts. I've done neither so I'm just guessing.

I list my gear because it has been helpful when I have had questions.

Latest threads

Top Bottom