1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Uncle Frank: a request

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by dengar, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Can you post your diagram of the 1 light setup again please? I found it earlier but I forgot to bookmark it. Thanks in advance!

2. Here you go.

89459531.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

3. aaephoto

aaephoto

Jun 24, 2008
    New Zealand
    Can i use the same setup with SB600 and using CLS?

And whats the ideal distance between the subject and the umbrella?

thanks

4. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Yes.

As close as possible for the softest light.

5. Ahh, thanks a bunch. Im going to try it this week with my 135mm 2.8 and see how it goes. I have a SB600 as well but Im using those cheap Ebay triggers, so its all manual for me :) 

6. Hi Frank

do you have any pics from this setup?

and

Where can i find a good deal on a brolly box?

Thanks

7. Here's a few.

81030363.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 223293

View attachment 223296

I got mine on ebay from Amvona. Here's a similar listing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DYNAPHOS-PHOTO-...photoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262

8. Great Pics Frank, Now im going to have to get one. Thanks for the info.

9. Hey, Joey, some of those were done with a brolly box, but others were with a white shoot through umbrella, which works nearly as well. They give the same soft light, but are just less efficient.

10. How high are the Umbrellas/Brolly Placed?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2008
  11. It varies from shot to shot. You can reverse engineer them by looking at the position of the catchlights in the subject's eyes.

12. Do you use the Alzo more than the Umbrella/Brolly?

13. triebs2

triebs2 Guest

Just a note on a great one-speedlight diagram - if you do not have a window or other ambient light for fill, try to find some type of reflector (or just buy one I guess). A big reflector positioned correctly should give you the fill you need.

If you do use a reflector for fill, the same rules apply as with other light sources --- generally, the closer to the subject the better.

14. Yes, I believe I do. The ranking by frequency of use would be...

1. Lumiquest micro softbox
    2. Alzo mini softbox
    3. shoot through umbrella
    4. brolly box
    5. shoot into umbrella

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.