Uncle Frank has a great deal to answer for...

Clivegriff said:
PJohnP said:
...another more upscale pub in Woodhouse Eaves that used to frequent...
By pure coincidence, both the test shots I included at the start of this thread were taken in the Woodhouse district of Leeds.
Heh. The place I was speaking of is roughly adjacent to Quorn in Leics, about perhaps ten miles distant from Ashby-de-la-Zouch. Haven't been there for about thirteen years, but the name of the pub was "The Pear Tree". They had a rather good roasted chicken meal for Sunday lunch...

John P.

PJohnP said:
...even holding aside the interminably long Welsh words with the double L sound placed within them...
Ah, you must mean...

LLANFAIRPWLLGWYNGYLLGOGERYCHWYRNDROBWLLANTYSILIOGOGOGOCH

which means...

Saint Mary's Church in the hollow of the white hazal near a rapid whirlpool and the Church of St. Tysilio of the red cave.

Y'see, I have Welsh blood coursing through my veins.

Clivegriff said:
PJohnP said:
...even holding aside the interminably long Welsh words with the double L sound placed within them...
Ah, you must mean...

LLANFAIRPWLLGWYNGYLLGOGERYCHWYRNDROBWLLANTYSILIOGOGOGOCH

which means...

Saint Mary's Church in the hollow of the white hazal near a rapid whirlpool and the Church of St. Tysilio of the red cave.

Y'see, I have Welsh blood coursing through my veins.
Heh. Now, if memory serves, the first "LL" would get the traditional "cloough" sound, but the succeeding one lets the more English double-L sound (e.g., the name "Llewellyn"). But what about the third "LL" ? How is that processed ? Or is an aglutinative Welsh word exempt from that rule ?

Perspiring minds want to know !

John P.

PJohnP said:
Heh. Now, if memory serves, the first "LL" would get the traditional "cloough" sound, but the succeeding one lets the more English double-L sound (e.g., the name "Llewellyn"). But what about the third "LL" ? How is that processed ? Or is an aglutinative Welsh word exempt from that rule ?

This might help...

LLAN - FAIR - PWLL - GWYN - GYLL - GO - GER - YCH - WYRN - DROB - WLL - LLAN - TY - SILIO - GO - GO – GOCH

Pronounced...

CLAN FIRE PURK GWYN GILL GO GERRICK URRIN GAUCH CLANTY SILLIO GOGO GOCK

Clivegriff said:
PJohnP said:

This might help...

LLAN - FAIR - PWLL - GWYN - GYLL - GO - GER - YCH - WYRN - DROB - WLL - LLAN - TY - SILIO - GO - GO – GOCH

Pronounced...

CLAN FIRE PURK GWYN GILL GO GERRICK URRIN GAUCH CLANTY SILLIO GOGO GOCK
Ah. Now it's all so clear. For us, at least. :twisted: :lol: :twisted:

John P.

PJohnP said:
Clivegriff said:
PJohnP said:
Great deal for you, and nice to see Harrogate mentioned...
It was, John, I'm still exhilarated by it.

Harrogate is so delightfully Olde Worlde in a genuine kind of way.
Clive :

Enjoy the moment with the new lens. I can "see" holding every new one I've purchased.

There are many moments when I miss living in the U.K. Spending time in Retford (Notts) in the 'sixties and later, then going back for post-graduate at Loughborough, I had a lot of wonderful opportunities around the countryside. Interestingly, I really spent very little time in the larger cities, unlike my wife, who worked with the V&A in the 'seventies, and thus knows London very well.

And I still miss my local, although beer in the U.S. has improved by leaps and bounds over the last twenty years. There's actually an IPA at a microbrew in Socorro here in New Mexico that's some of the best I've ever had, but it's nonetheless nothing like my local in Loughborough, or another more upscale pub in Woodhouse Eaves that used to frequent...

John P.
The best IPA I've had is from Stone Brewing in San Diego. Great stuff.

virtuamike said:
The best IPA I've had is from Stone Brewing in San Diego. Great stuff.
Well, we'll just have to go to several locations, shoot some sessions, and then kick back with brews to make a careful assessment. San Diego sounds reasonably nice as a venue. Now we just have to plan this out to get the various players on site simultaneously.

John P.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom