Uncle Frank was pretty close....;-)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Flew, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Back a couple of months ago, when the Cafe was experiencing the big growth spurt, UF predicted that if we kept up the pace, we would be at 1,000 members by July 4th. Well, we didn't quite get there, but we came close. :wink:

Now what we have to do is to get all of these members to participate actively in the Cafe. Many have joined, but just lurk. If you are in that group (lurkers), we encourage you to jump in and enjoy the fun. Post some pictures; go shooting with friends and other Cafe members; give constructive feedback on other's shots; ask questions; post answers. Many previously shy folks have taken the plunge and are now every day participants in one or more forums, and having a great time. I promise, we won't bite. :lol:

2. A testament to Patrick's and your hard work, you have made this a fantastic place to hang out and learn and share with incredible people. I have many good friends from this site in the last 6 months.

3. I suppose I can give a testimony as well. For about a year, I lurked over at dpr. I joined here about 2 months ago. I am typically shy but plunged in and started posting. Since I joined, I have met many new people I consider Internet friends. I was fortunate to meet, shoot with and learn from Frank(Flew), Gale, Harry B, Trish, Gordon, Thor and Harris.

I look forward to the next Merritt Island shoot where hopefully more will come and participate and allow me the opportunity to meet more people.

I've learned alot from the questions posted and answers given but most especially I've learned from seeing others' work posted. It inspires me to try new things and see things from a different perspective and also drives me to improve my skills to reach the level of some that post here. It may take a while but I've seen marked improvement in my own shots already.

Those things I've learned from people here are skills I'll carry with me as long as I'm able to squeeze the shutter button! ;) So, I encourage and invite all the lurkers to stop lurking and start sharing. I'm sure you have plenty to offer and some of it may actually help others along the way.

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Exactly Mike and Kevin. :wink:

Thanks,

5. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Yes! And what is also as important as posting our own threads, is taking some time to view those of others and making some positive comments.

Newbies, or anyone, that posts a shot, comment or question may get discouraged if no one reponds. So many of our "regulars" do such a good job at that, and should be especially commended for that effort.

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I couldn't agree more Ken. Obviously the great posts by the top photog's here are going to get lots of comments, but we want everyone to feel special here.

As Gordon posted a week or so ago, let's give everyone encouragement and constructive criticism. It's how we learn and grow.

7. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Had it not been for the cafe I wouldn't have made such good friendships. Nor would I have been able to get comments and critiques from some of the best photogs I've ever seen. People like UncleFrank, RR, Dave Watts, Kramp, Klaus, just to name a few. This place is full of people that are really pasionate about photography, friendships, and learning something new.

Cheers to the membership for making this a great place!