1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Unconventional Portrait

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by gt_me_jon, May 1, 2011.

1. gt_me_jon

gt_me_jon

May 23, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Not sure if this is the proper forum for this picture, but it kind of is a portrait even though there is no face. :smile:

5677828285_f3ced51b2e_o.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Linwood

Linwood

Dec 23, 2010
    Sewickley, PA
    Different and interesting, I like it.

3. seres

seres

Jan 25, 2009
    Yes, it is interesting. If I were doing this, I would get the background light a little brighter, to better match the lightness of his hands. But even as it is, I like it.

4. gt_me_jon

gt_me_jon

May 23, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks for the feedback Linwood and seres. This was actually a self portrait. It's a little tricky getting everything positioned and composed properly when you're not behind the camera :) 

5. darylb

darylb

Dec 15, 2008
    FL
    I think it is very interesting and creative. Good stuff.

I am thinking I would look better if photograhed this way.

6. The air of 'tough guy' being portrayed by the face hidden in the shadows, hoodie, etc doesn't jive with the wedding band. Two different personalities there. Clone out the band and see if it doesn't change your view.

Creative lighting - well done IMO.

7. gt_me_jon

gt_me_jon

May 23, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks Daryl...I know what you mean, that's why I try to stay behind the camera a majority of the time :biggrin:

Sandi, I see what you're saying about the wedding band. I've grown so used to it I always forget it's there. It's all about the details! Thanks for the feedback.

Jon

8. TommyO

TommyO

Oct 16, 2008
    West Michigan
    Don't clone out the ring - replicate it as "bling" :)  Wonderful concept shot, though - really quite cool.

9. Great shot, ever so creative, but it doesn't hit me as a "portrait"; it works as a statement, or an album cover (if you don't know what that is, ask someone over 35). Like it though.

10. I'd call it a portrait; it lets me infer things about his personality.

I, too, think it could be lighter without hurting the effect.

11. Great shot. Nice lighting, cool composition, it works well.

12. Good point!
    I guess I'm more of an old fuddy-duddy than I give myself credit for :eek: 

13. gt_me_jon

gt_me_jon

May 23, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks Tom, haha "bling" is an interesting idea.

Nick, I am kind of in agreement with you. Like I mentioned in my original post, I wasn't sure if it quite qualified as a portrait and I wasn't sure where would be the most appropriate place to post it.

Steve, I do like your definition of a portrait. It does make sense paint a picture about personality, though I must say I'm not nearly as dark/sinister as the picture implies :)  Looking at it on a calibrated monitor, I would agree that it probably wouldn't hurt to go a bit brigher.

Thanks for the compliments Aaron and Mike.

14. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Well I like it too! Ditch the wedding band and get some rub on tatoos! Do it right!

LOL!

Well done!

15. Unconventional, but I love it. Very well done.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.