Undecided

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by pixel_a_ted, Jul 2, 2008.

1. I would really like to upgrade from my D70 mainly because of the viewfinder and display, and I also might like to take advantage of the better high-ISO performance of the new sensors. I was hoping for the "D90" announcement, but it never came.

Then I started to seriously consider the D300, even though it's a bit more expensive than I was planning on, but the D700 announcement has that on hold. Not that I would order a D700 (too expensive for this hobbyist) but I am guessing that the $2000 price difference from the D3 is an indication that a Nikon FX camera for ~$2000 might be a realistic possibility within another year (Canon already has this), and I would much rather spend the money on that.

On the other hand, I don't want to be in a perpetual waiting mode, so I was wondering if anyone else is in the same position and what their thoughts are.

Barry

2. adaml

adaml

Feb 21, 2006
    chicago
    The only reason Canon has an <$2K FF camera body is because it is deeply discounting it's three-year old 5D model. Don't assume from this that a new FF model <$2K is coming from Nikon, or anyone else for that matter, any time soon.

The most frequent mistake all of us bitten with NAS seem to make is to wait for the next great camera body. There will always be a next great camera body around the corner; if you wait for it, you'll never pull the trigger.

3. It seems that it wasn't long ago that we were speculating whether Nikon would ever even come out with a full frame digital camera. Then the D3 was introduced and less than a year later a mini-D3 comes out for $2K less. Is it unreasonable to expect another FX camera in the $2K - $2.5K range within the next year? Whether it's reasonable to wait for that camera is a different question.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.