1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

    If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Underwater housing : D70 instead of a D100 ?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by Paul K, May 1, 2007.

  1. Paul K

    Paul K

    May 14, 2006
    Hi, just saw an underwater housing for a D100 on eBay. and wonder if I can use a D70 in it instead.

    Although it's a custom build housing for the D100, the D70 is only a few mm smaller and lower, so I wonder if it would work

    Nikon D70
    140 x 111 x 78 mm (5.5 x 4.4 x 3.1 in)

    Nikon D100
    144 x 116 x 81 mm (5.7 x 4.6 x 3.2 in)

    my guess is that with a little filling material the body could be raised enough to close any possible gaps between the camera buttons and the controls on the housing

    Anybody have experience with this kind of situation?

    Thx in advance


  2. Hi Paul:

    Most underwater housings are manufactured for a specific camera body and lens. The housings typically have external buttons or levers that allow the user to use the various buttons and switches that are located on the camera. Additionally you would have to check the overall length of the camera body to the end of the lens, which would need to allow for travel of the lens.

    There is also manual focus / zoom knobs to allow focus your camera and change the zoom.

    The manufaturing tolerances of the housings and lens ports are tight and I think you would be asking for trouble in attempting to modify the housing.

    While the body may be adapted to fit, you may loose functionality by the buttons not aligning with the camera functions. I personnally use an Ikelite housing for the D70s, which allows access to all the buttons and switches I can touch on land. Underwater flash connections for U/W strobe or strobes is another consideration.

    For additional information checkout www.ikelite.com

    PADI Divemaster 175622
  3. Toklat


    Aug 31, 2006
    Haydn is absolutely right here. UW housings have very close tolerances for controls. If you are looking for a bargain, try a used Ikelite.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.