Underwater housing : D70 instead of a D100 ?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Paul K, May 1, 2007.

1. Paul K

Paul K

May 14, 2006
    Netherlands
    Hi, just saw an underwater housing for a D100 on eBay. and wonder if I can use a D70 in it instead.

Although it's a custom build housing for the D100, the D70 is only a few mm smaller and lower, so I wonder if it would work

Nikon D70
    140 x 111 x 78 mm (5.5 x 4.4 x 3.1 in)

Nikon D100
    144 x 116 x 81 mm (5.7 x 4.6 x 3.2 in)

my guess is that with a little filling material the body could be raised enough to close any possible gaps between the camera buttons and the controls on the housing

Anybody have experience with this kind of situation?

Thx in advance

regards

paul

2. Hi Paul:

Most underwater housings are manufactured for a specific camera body and lens. The housings typically have external buttons or levers that allow the user to use the various buttons and switches that are located on the camera. Additionally you would have to check the overall length of the camera body to the end of the lens, which would need to allow for travel of the lens.

There is also manual focus / zoom knobs to allow focus your camera and change the zoom.

The manufaturing tolerances of the housings and lens ports are tight and I think you would be asking for trouble in attempting to modify the housing.

While the body may be adapted to fit, you may loose functionality by the buttons not aligning with the camera functions. I personnally use an Ikelite housing for the D70s, which allows access to all the buttons and switches I can touch on land. Underwater flash connections for U/W strobe or strobes is another consideration.

For additional information checkout www.ikelite.com

Regards
    Haydn
    PADI Divemaster 175622

3. Toklat

Toklat

Aug 31, 2006
    Alaska
    Haydn is absolutely right here. UW housings have very close tolerances for controls. If you are looking for a bargain, try a used Ikelite.