Underwater photos taken in Papua New Guinea

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
In 1998 my husband and I went scuba diving in Papua New Guinea. I've recently scanned some slides. I only had a rangefinder camera - no P&S, no autofocus and no auto exposure.

Not the greatest technically, but hopefully you'll enjoy seeing some of the underwater world!

My gallery is here: http://butlerkid.smugmug.com/Underwater/Underwater/5304341_FSF2T#1264987815_m8TKWN4

Clownfish, anenome and shrimp
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

another clownfish and anenome

The reefs were teeming with life...

stonefish

hubby....

Last edited by a moderator:
Had you not stated it was just a p&s, I would have had no idea! These are fantastic! The colors are amazing. I'm sure they bring back a lot of good memories for you! Thanks for sharing!

Stunning pictures. That first on looks like someone blew up a bag of rubber gloves.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Had you not stated it was just a p&s, I would have had no idea! These are fantastic! The colors are amazing. I'm sure they bring back a lot of good memories for you! Thanks for sharing!
Thank you! Actually, I've corrected my post...it was a rangefinder camera and shooting underwater was definitely tough!

Stunning pictures. That first on looks like someone blew up a bag of rubber gloves.
I was surprised by the variety of anenmoes! The bulb tipped one in the second shot was really pretty.

Did you find the small translucent shrimp on the right side of the first photo? I didn't even know he was there until I looked at my slide! :tongue:

Wow! Really great shots. You did a great job with the camera, considering you have to set everything.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Wow! Really great shots. You did a great job with the camera, considering you have to set everything.
Underwater shooting is tough! Lighting is a big challenge because you can easily illuminate the particles in the water instead of your subject. And everything is in motion! I had to be a certain distance to the subject in order for the subject to be in my DOF.....

#2 is captivating! Great shot!
Thanks! I think he was under a rock and that is what made it so dark.

Lovely shots! Would make a great slide show on a slide projector in a dark room...
The underwater world is truly spectacular. I grew up seeing Sea Hunt and Cousteau specials!

Amazing shots! Thanks for posting.
Thanks, Dossy! I'm glad you enjoyed them.

Great shots.
BK (before kids) my wife and I scuba dove all over the Caribbean and Hawaii. Really got into the underwater photography with the old nikonos. I have a box of slides I need to get scanned one of these days.

Mike

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Great shots.
BK (before kids) my wife and I scuba dove all over the Caribbean and Hawaii. Really got into the underwater photography with the old nikonos. I have a box of slides I need to get scanned one of these days.

Mike
Thanks, Mike! I scanned my slides with my old Coolscan 4000 ED. I finally figured out how to minimize the noise. I was using a Sea & Sea camera with a couple of strobes. It was nice because you could change between a normal lens, wide angle or macro lens underwater!

How does "Wow!" sound underwater?! :smile:

Awesome shots!
Bless you! I was hoping a few folks would look - and comment! I truly appreciate it!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom