1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Unfortunately. I had to hire a Pro

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jjdesanto1, May 22, 2007.

1. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    UPDATE:

It's Friday and I had to call and hire a professional photographer from the Alexandria (Va.) Times for this assignment. Although some NikonCafe folks had shown an interest in shooting this, I was unable to secure a firm commitment from anyone I could trust.

But, I'm not discouraged and we'll try this again in a couple of weeks. As it looks right now, there should be assignments in the pipeline for Philadelphia and Chicago soon. So, I'll give it another shot.

Thanks to all who PM'd me and to those who were interested.

(I may be nuts, but I'm not crazy!)

Folks:

Normally, I would go the usual route and just call a newspaper in Arlington and get a list of stringers and hire one of them for this job. But, I'm going to throw this one open to Nikon Cafe members because:

1) I know there are a lot of very capable shooters right here on the NikonCafe who would love to have a chance to do this, and

2) This could open up a whole other source of photographers for me if this works out.

So here's the deal: The U.S. has recovered the remains of a local Vietnam veteran who will be interred in Arlington National Cemetery on Wednesday, May 30 at 11 a.m. He will be buried with full honors including horse-drawn caisson, taps, military salute and flyover. His family will be attending. I'll need 8-10 photos from the event, complete with caption information embedded in the picture info field of the file and emailed to me within an hour or two of completion.

Now, I know that there are a ton of talented members in the Virginia/DC area. To get this gig, you'll need to convince me that you can pull this job off almost as well as a professional photographer would be able to do. (I may be crazy, but I'm not stupid - so I'm not gonna hand this to the first person who raises their hand.) Successful completion results in a check for $100, a photo gallery on our newspaper's website and I can mail you some clipsheets of what we run in the newspaper. I have a couple of days to play with this - if no one steps forward by Friday, I'll just call a local paper and hire a stringer.

While I was typing this, the Sunday editor stopped by to see if we could hire a stringer next month in Philadelphia for a shoot and once or twice a month we usually hire folks someplace in the world. (Last month it was Yokohama and Jefferson City, Iowa.) So this could be a real fun project for everyone if it works out.

Any takers? PM me and I'll send more details!

(I'm gonna cross post this in the PJ forum, too.)

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2007
  2. Sure, but you'll have to pay the airfare :rolleyes: .

3. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    Frank

For you, it would be worth it!

4. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    Need to hire a shooter in Virginia

Folks:

Normally, I would go the usual route and just call a newspaper in Arlington and get a list of stringers and hire one of them for this job. But, I'm going to throw this one open to Nikon Cafe members because:

1) I know there are a lot of very capable shooters right here on the NikonCafe who would love to have a chance to do this, and

2) This could open up a whole other source of photographers for me if this works out.

So here's the deal: The U.S. has recovered the remains of a local Vietnam veteran who will be interred in Arlington National Cemetery on Wednesday, May 30 at 11 a.m. He will be buried with full honors including horse-drawn caisson, taps, military salute and flyover. His family will be attending. I'll need 8-10 photos from the event, complete with caption information embedded in the picture info field of the file and emailed to me within an hour or two of completion.

Now, I know that there are a ton of talented members in the Virginia/DC area. To get this gig, you'll need to convince me that you can pull this job off almost as well as a professional photographer would be able to do. (I may be crazy, but I'm not stupid - so I'm not gonna hand this to the first person who raises their hand.) Successful completion results in a check for $100, a photo gallery on our newspaper's website and I can mail you some clipsheets of what we run in the newspaper. I have a couple of days to play with this - if no one steps forward by Friday, I'll just call a local paper and hire a stringer.

While I was typing this, the Sunday editor stopped by to see if we could hire a stringer next month in Philadelphia for a shoot and once or twice a month we usually hire folks someplace in the world. (Last month it was Yokohama and Jefferson City, Iowa.) So this could be a real fun project for everyone if it works out.

Any takers? PM me and I'll send more details!

(I'm gonna cross post this in the General Discussion forum, too.)

5. Sorry John but double posting is not allowed per the rules. I did leave a re-direct in the PJ forum for your message. Good luck on finding someone as it looks like a good opportunity for one of our members.

6. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    Thanks, Gordon

Appreciate it.

7. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    That's a really nice offer John , I'm sure it's going to make someone very happy !

Good luck you all :wink:

8. Wow! What a great offer! Talk about a feather in the cap!

9. I would love to do something like this but unfortunately will not be around next week. Thanks for the post John and I hope you find a taker here in the cafe

10. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    That's a real shame, Dave...

because I know you would've done a great job with this. Anyone you know in your neck of the woods?

11. Thanks John. I will shoot a PM to a member I think can do well on this and see if he is interested.
    Dave

12. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    I'm still looking...

for a candidate, if anyone is interested.

13. Well the airfare would kill you. But I love the idea. If you need someone in the Northland look me up.

14. I wonder how many time LE has to check out a red flag on these photo web sites... All this looking for shooters and shooting people has got to attract attention.

15. LE???

You mean Homeland Security or the like??

16. I would guess Law enforcement

17. Yes your right. Now I feel dumb. Doh!

18. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    Unfortunately...

it's Friday and I had to call and hire a professional photographer for this assignment. Although some NikonCafe folks had shown an interest in shooting this, I was unable to secure a firm commitment from anyone who's talents I could trust.

But, I'm not discouraged and we'll try this again in a couple of weeks. As it looks right now, there should be assignments in the pipeline for Philadelphia and Chicago soon. So, I'll give it another shot.

Thanks to all who PM'd me and to those who were interested.

19. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Just curious, is 100 dollars the usual customary fee for a professional photographer to attend such an event and then work under a submission deadline ?

Regards

RFC

20. John, if you ever have something coming un in trois-Rivières, I'm your man !!! :biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.