Unison call

There are a lot of photographers and "bird" people here at the Cafe, but for those not familiar with sandhill cranes, a mated pair of sandhill cranes will call out in unison. Their loud rattling bugle calls, each lasting a couple of seconds, are often strung together. They can be heard up to several miles away.

Unison call .jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I really like this "group" shot. Too often close, portrait shots don't convery the environment and interaction of the flock.

This viewing blind required an overnight stay on an island in the Platte river. I've done this many times, but not in the last several years. The blind has a window at almost water level. Being at below the level of the cranes was pretty cool. It was cold, but with proper gear and a Buddy heater I made it through.
IMG_20200322_172815.jpg
PANO_20200322_182816.vr.jpg

Real Name
Dan
I really like this "group" shot. Too often close, portrait shots don't convery the environment and interaction of the flock.
Ditto Karen's comments. I'm rarely satisfied with my own results when trying to capture flocks, gaggles, herds, etc. I can almost hear this image. Well done.

Hey, Brad - I absolutely loved your sunset sandhill crane photo that is now featured. I doubt that you remember, but we met once way back in the day, when I was headed out of KS going up to, or coming back from, Yellowstone NP. Or perhaps it was on one of my visits up to Kearney . . . Are you still based in Grand Island? Whatever - it's great to see you and your talents back here at the Café.

Your pal,

Eric

Hey, Brad - I absolutely loved your sunset sandhill crane photo that is now featured. I doubt that you remember, but we met once way back in the day, when I was headed out of KS going up to, or coming back from, Yellowstone NP. Or perhaps it was on one of my visits up to Kearney . . . Are you still based in Grand Island? Whatever - it's great to see you and your talents back here at the Café.

Your pal,

Eric
Hi Eric,

While I don't specifically remember meeting you, I'm glad you reminded me of our meeting. Thank you for commenting on the sunset image. I appreciate the kind words. Yes, I live in Grand Island and while back in the day I was on the river daily, my current job only allows for small windows of time to get out. Hopefully, our paths will cross again sometime soon.

Brad

Great shot. Have you ever been to the International Crane Foundation in Barraboo WI?
Yes, I've been there several times. With my work in Nebraska, I've become friends with ICF founder George Archibald. It's an amazing institution.

Latest threads

Top Bottom